Prop UJ Movement - why in this direction?

SPendrey

The front prop (transfer box end) UJ on my vehicle has some play in it... just not in a way I expected. The movement is along the axis of the 'spider', the bit in the middle of the UJ. Is this normal? How could it happen if the ends of the spider are held in by the circlips? Mind you, I didn't actually check they're both in there! Must do that when I get home. No other movement though, and I'd have expected plenty if the spider isn't held in place. Any thoughts?

post-11857-0-72385300-1386600151_thumb.jpg

They are not retrained in that direction. The bearings in the other caps should prevent movement.

So i guess that means the play is in the other two bearings rather than the one with the plane of movement marked??

I've had this on the front and rear prop recently. Both UJs at the TXB end. Not figured out why though.

they are not held by the other pair at 90deg , there should be a small amount of end float in each bearing axis to

allow grease out of the x-drilling and into the needle rollers.

When I fit uj's I always settle the cups out to the circlip on each bearing using a hide hammer with the opposite

axis resting on the vice jaws.

.....I guess you just have to decide if its too much end float

cheers

Steveb

Surely as the two items held together by the spider have no other connection to each other the movement is in the spider as the drawing not the other plane.

was the peices of the prop originaly from the same prop? There are two different size cups (diameter) depending on Series or Defender/RRC. The use of the wrong cup could leave end float as a too large cup could not be fitted far enough in or vice versa?

Surely as the two items held together by the spider have no other connection to each other the movement is in the spider as the drawing not the other plane.

was the peices of the prop originaly from the same prop? There are two different size cups (diameter) depending on Series or Defender/RRC. The use of the wrong cup could leave end float as a too large cup could not be fitted far enough in or vice versa?

The difference is about 1/4", so you would notice that. I agree with steve b, if you tap them home against the circlip, it should be even.

Daan

Well, the prop itself has been on the vehicle since new, and the UJ itself for about 3 or 4 years? Probably 4. Might just be wear and tear, but it seems odd to be only in one direction. I'll see if I can get more 'evidence' together to prove/disprove the movement and any rotational action too.

Well, the prop itself has been on the vehicle since new, and the UJ itself for about 3 or 4 years? Probably 4. Might just be wear and tear, but it seems odd to be only in one direction. I'll see if I can get more 'evidence' together to prove/disprove the movement and any rotational action too.

I would fit some new u/js, and see what you've got.

Daan

I remember having this problem many years ago, but I cannot remember whether it was a series or a Defender.

The cup diameter was correct, but the distance across the cups was too small. The solution was to put a 2 pence piece under each circlip, and it made it almost exactly right. It was run like this for a couple of years, and for 8 pence per joint, was a good value fix............