Prop-Crossmember clearance when lifting a 109"

o_teunico

Bye, bye Discovery, hello 109! Yep, thanks to wife´s Lancia, a disastrous clutch/flywheel failure and a BIG workshop bill, the savings I had for the Disco have been reduced to zero :angry2:

Fortunately, life gives us second oportunities. My bro has bought two 109"s, one from 1974, the other from 1975. Newer one has both a front and a rear halfshafts broken. The older one has a broken gearbox. At 300 eur each, with all the paperwork OK, are a bargain, and bro is happy selling one of them to me (he has not decided yet wich of them).

Series vapour builds have started, and a SOA (Spring Over Axle) conversion is one of them. After searching the web for some info, I crawled undrer one of them and discoverded that the crossmember under the flywheel housing has very little clearance with the prop. Will this be a problem with a 10" suspension lift? (wider axles and torque bars are on the list).

sowr.jpg

O'Teunico, how are you going to fit under that bridge with a 10" suspension lift ? Generally, to maintain stability, if you raise a vehicle say 2", you should widen the wheel track width by 4". So your 109 will need to have the same wheel track of a military Humvee, otherwise it will be an unwieldy tippy POS. The cost of suitable wider axles, plus fitting will well exceed what you planned for the Disco, to create a monster that would probably be next to useless in most off road situations.

Lifting the vehicle that much will certainly cause problems for both prop shafts. I had a problem with the rear prop fouling during the build of my 109 - with the body still off (so little load on the springs) and the slightly taller combination of MoD/1-Ton spring mounts and shackles and parabolic springs, the rear prop fouled the bottom of the hole through the cross member just behind the transmission. Fitting the cross member from an 88" would cure this problem. You'll still have issues with the bell housing cross member, though, and even notching it like the MoD/1-Ton chassis won't be enough. Steering is another problem with SOA conversions.

That much of a lift is asking for all sorts of problems, not just with the steering and prop shaft clearances and UJ angles, but with vehicle handling and stability. The 40mm rise from the MoD hangers and shackles and the roughly 50mm rise from heavy duty parabolics is about as high as is sensible to go, being very similar in ride height to a 110 on HD springs. Even then, you would be wise to fit wider spread rims or spacers to widen the track. The engine and transmission sit considerably lower in a 109 than a Defender, so even though the track with spacers or after-market 8-spokes/modular wheels will be less than a Defender, stability should be similar.

This two 109s are quite special (sorry, but bro asked me not to publish any picture until he solves all the relative paperwork). Forget the brain looking for a family 4x4 that will fit inder the bridge. Heart loves this 109, wich is a two seater and, even in standard form, will not fit under the bridge.

My idea about the axles was using some coiler axles + spacers + offset wheels = 300mm more track than a series axle.

A new PAS box, sitting lower than standard, and a "z" bar will could do with steering.

IMG_8041.jpg

That bellhousing crossmemeber is absent in the coiler chassis. Can it be simply cutted and trown away? I think that Stage 1 V8 also lacks of this crossmember.

The Stage Ones don't have the old arched crossmember. but they had the old series 2/3 transfercase crossmember relocated further forward. Because of this I personally don't think the Stage One chassis is as rigid as earlier 109 chassis. My stage One doors jamb when suspension is articulating, and it is a low mileage unit with a very straight rust free chassis. i

10"... are you flipping insane?

I mean... come on man, have you not learnt anything from your other vapour builds!

I don't know where the 10" figure actually comes from. Properly done the net gain in lift shouldn't exceed 6" at most, and then if settled springs are used that could be reduced to around 4" or less.

That Z bar looks deadly, although Landrover 101's do have something similar.

8" thick spring pack ? The front springs on my Stage One are 2" thick. the diameter of the axle housing , including upper and lower spring saddles would be 4", together = 6" total lift. decambered springs could be used to reduce that to about 3 or 4". Some of the leaves are there to provide some Wrap/tramp control, so if anti wrap bars are fitted a few leaves could be removed to lower it further.

This special Santana has a thick leaf pack, rated both front and rear to nearly 1.7 Tonnes per axle.

Leaf pack + axle tube = 200mm

yfzj.jpg

In those years, when the 88" was our off road machine, many times the sprigs, hanging from the axle, were the cause of the vehicle beeing stucked. SOA will solve that. The crossmember is also too low, about 325mm from ground. Lifting it with SOA will give excellent break over angle. The distance between front axle tube and bumpstop is just 40mm. That´s too low. SOA will give me about 4" more.

I want to know where ToyRoverLander got wheel arches you can jack the car up on! :blink:^_^

This special Santana has a thick leaf pack, rated both front and rear to nearly 1.7 Tonnes per axle.

OK, are you carrying 1.7 tonnes per axle? Unless you have lot of weight in the car it won't flex at all, and when it's empty you'll hit the ceiling on every bump.

Just adding more height solves one problem but can bring others instead, what are you trying to achieve?

Series spring hangers can be improved upon - many moons ago Tonk made spring plate sliders (Jon White might also have some?), or you can go a stage further and turn the U-bolts upside down so they don't stick down - this happens to be how Volvo do it, so I kept it (it could be made lower profile but it's not been an issue):

volvo_ubolts.jpg

Ought to upload that photo to the scary steering website! Drag link like that is flipping lethal!

It looks pretty thick, so shouldn't be a problem other than the bump steer it'll have - the link needs to be as close to horizontal as possible, and kinking it like that doesn't cut it; the ends are still at different levels, so it'll behave like a diagonal link. Kinking it like that just makes sure it clears suspension and chassis parts.

How about keeping things simple and using decent quality parabolics, which will give a much better ride and handling whilst also being much thinner. Then use slipper plates to make the clamping plate under the springs more streamlined and less likely to hook any obstacles, with the U'bolts cut flush with the ends of their nuts, level with the bottom of the slipper? It'll give a small lift to the chassis, too, so that cross member won't hang up, but all without any adverse effects or major effort.