Rear mounted radiator questions

Im currently in the process of mounting my radiator and transmission in the rear of my 3.9 v8 truck. As I have to extend the hoses to the rear of the vehicle I can no longer use the original hoses and fittings. Ive been down to the local hydraulic fittings and hose place and they cannot help me.

Im looking for info on where I can get the fittings for

1. Input and output to oil filter housing

2. Input and output to ZF4 HP22 auto gearbox

3. Fittings for transmission cooler (I think its 1" BSP fittings)

Also im using a Mitsubishi Delicia 2.8 aluminium radiator and it does not have an input for the cold water return from the plenum to radiator. Am I able to just plumb this into the main hot water return to radiator?

Any help would be great

Cheers

post-19947-0-50597400-1391891876_thumb.jpg

post-19947-0-22468400-1391892000_thumb.jpg

post-19947-0-53678500-1391892059_thumb.jpg

post-19947-0-67569900-1391892191_thumb.png

When doing similar rear rad on my 3.9 v8 I got all my fittings from http://www.thinkauto.com/

I replaced the existing adaptors in the with a Metric to JIC adaptor http://www.thinkauto.com/acatalog/On_line_shop_JIC_to_Metric__157.html for the ZF4 HP22 and then used angle JIC push fit hoses to run the oil lines.
From memory they were M16, but I seem to remember that some ZF4 HP22 can be M18 but you have yours so you can measure it.

I used a Laminova for transmission oil cooling, so can not help with these but give think auto a call and they can probably help

For the oil cooler I just cut and extended the original hoses.

I used a standard landrover radiator so just plumbed up the plenum as normal.

The other thing I did was remove the thermostat, for 2 reasons
1) I have not heater matrix so there is no normal water return path if thermostat was closed

2) Less restriction to aid the water pump to pump to the rear, some people say you need an additional electric water pump to help, but not stat works great (it's not like the v8 is slow to warm up :-) )

HFH does lovely thermostat removal plates, as to give slight back pressure to the pump (or so i think)

When i did my rear rad, i used 1/2bsp push connectors onto a mocal oil cooler. At the gearbox end i cut the hard lines, and jubilee clipped the flexible oil hose over the top. worked a treat and costs next to nothing.

I recognise that "Support hexagons when tightening fittings" sticker. I have stuck many on :)

It does look like 1" bsp, which is an odd choice, as we have 1/2" on the shelf, which is what I use. I got hydraulic hose-tails that are 3/8" hose to 1/2" female and cut the crimp part off. I need to fit two clips per hose to mine, as apparently weird flows occur with pressure.

I have threatened to tap the inside of a large fitting on these coolers down to 1/4" bsp if it's any help? Or locktight tubes in the hole?

Remove the thermostat !?

I haven't tried it, so it could be excellent, but I've had a rear rad now since 1995 and the only mod is long pipes. I believe the extra surface area of the steel pipes compensates for the lower water flow.

However, in some situations the thermostat acts as a pump restrictor to stop cavitation, so it can have a downside on a front rad. Maybe rear rad is all the restriction that is needed?

I run a front header tank that links the block bleed to the highest top hose point. Then another tank at the back for expansion. The aim of the game is to get any air or head gasket gas out of the system while you race. It's always going to be a regular thing to check the levels on, as you have 2 high points, both running the same pressure. Sight tube levels are your friend here :)

Plenty of horror stories out there, but you tend to find that it was another fault that stopped it all working, like head gasket, or fans that weren't shrouded and sealed to the rad and stuff like that.

• 3 weeks later...

On a V8 it's 38mm internal diameter I think the 300tdi engine is the same.

I used rubber hose for and silicon bends for my rear rad V8 as it was much easier as the rubber hose could do shallow bends around items (finding a protected straight route was impossible)

I used hose from http://www.hoseworld.com/acatalog/HIGH_TEMP_HEAVY_DUTY_RUBBER_WATER_DELIVERY_HOSE-2.html

Hoseworld recommended this hose for my usage (even though it looks slightly under spec for the temperature but that temp is max temp @ max pressure of 15bar and you engine won't be working any where near 225psi)

I also found Size 20 cable cleats ideal for mounting http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-HEAVY-DUTY-CABLE-CLEATS-SIZE-NUMBER-NO-20-FOR-LARGE-CABLES-/151146072385?pt=UK_BOI_Materials_Supplies_Electrical_ET&var=&hash=item2331020941

or

http://www.fastlec.co.uk/cable-cleat-size-20-for-swa-armoured-cables-p-15447.html#.UxxMXIXvZ5Y

• 1 month later...

Mine are 42mm from memory, mostly steel with rubber joins, not had it runing full noise yet but doesnt get hot road running& thermo fan kicks in though but guess theres no airflow through the rad, so itd going to

I used to run with no plenum heater & the stub from the manifold blanked off, however I have now plumbed the stub into the radiator top bleed pipe to the header tank as I believe it serves a function in allowing any air bubbles to bleed off to the header tank and prevent airlocks, as that stub is about the highest point in the block's coolant system and subject to some back-pressure due to the restriction of the stat, so almost as if it's designed for the job of forcing out air ;)

Sometimes the longer you look at stuff the more you realise "those idiots at the factory" may have had an idea what they were doing :ph34r:

• Like 1

Sometimes the longer you look at stuff the more you realise "those idiots at the factory" may have had an idea what they were doing :ph34r:

Indeed!

I to disconnected the actual plenum, but left the hose from inlet to radiator, no particular reason, just seemed sensible :)

• 8 months later...