track rod and drag link protection

JST

the drag link is currently protected by a full Southdown axle guard, which great though it is when on rocks does lower the gnd clearence and is certainly not an aid, in my experience in bog, acting as a suction plate.

so whats the recommendation for drag link protection and does the track rod really need doing as well or will a decent steering guard surfice?

Who has what drag link protection

and whos bent/broken what HD drag link bar, doing what?

I used to use Dan Bars but have now swapped to a WVA jobbie that bolts to the radius arms and the diff casing and wraps around the OE bar allowing it to move freely. It works well and doesn't reduce the ground clearence.

What worried me about the Dan Bars was the track rod ends. I had two shear in the five years I had the vehicle. Both on garage forecourts after off road abuse....

I have sumo bars fitted to mine , not sure what they are made of but after an encounter with a tree stump they seemed to spring back straight.

I recomend them

Yep. Sumo bar for me too.

Bent the standard track rod a while back and replaced it with a Sumo - no probs since - although I've left the standard drag link in place for now.

Matt

Bent the drag link loads of times most memroble was getting a small beer keg stuck in the steering gear. in a local river

bent dan bar

sumo still going strong...

bent dan bar on the track rod as well....

sumo still going strong

I run a DAN bar on the drag link and its been OK. I used to run a standard bar inside a protector mounted to the axle/hockey sticks and bent the track rod once in 3 years. However, it was a pain to take off to get at the diff/replace the track rod even though it did work very well. I'm now using a Sumo bar and D44 protector as its lighter and easier to strip plus give more clearance. If I have issues, though, I'll be having one of Gywn Lewis' track rod protectors; its one of the few that'll work with an uprated track rod (unlike my last one...).

on my old defender i sleeved the bars (track rod and drag link0 in 6mm-walled stainless stube, its a standard size, and fits landrover trackrods just right. i gave them quite a lot of abuse and never bent one.

if i remember correctly a 6m length of it was about £60ish, but thats enough to do 3 landrovers...

i'd certainly go that way again... we've got an off-cut that we use as an 'extension' for our 24" breaker bar, again, we've given it some serious grief and never bent it. ;)

honitonhobbit,

What is a "WVA" jobbie? :huh:

Todd.

http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/page29.html

Very similar to this by Gwyn Lewis but made by WVA Holdings/Safari Equip (who make them for Sc*rp**n). Easy to fit and no chance of a bent bar/damaged TRE

In fact just like this: http://www.scorpionracing.co.uk/OFFROAD/Pr...rod/trodbar.jpg

http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/page29.html

Very similar to this by Gwyn Lewis but made by WVA Holdings/Safari Equip (who make them for Sc*rp**n). Easy to fit and no chance of a bent bar/damaged TRE

In fact just like this: http://www.scorpionracing.co.uk/OFFROAD/Pr...rod/trodbar.jpg

this was the thing I was talking about. You want Gwyn's, though. Its box so seriously strong (unlike the U section scrapiron one) and well made. The gaurd I took off was very simerlar but wouldn't take a Sumo bar...

on my old defender i sleeved the bars (track rod and drag link0 in 6mm-walled stainless stube, its a standard size, and fits landrover trackrods just right. i gave them quite a lot of abuse and never bent one.

if i remember correctly a 6m length of it was about £60ish, but thats enough to do 3 landrovers...

i'd certainly go that way again... we've got an off-cut that we use as an 'extension' for our 24" breaker bar, again, we've given it some serious grief and never bent it. ;)

I did this trick last week, after destroying a "strenghtened" steering rod. The only difference is I used DOM tube. I drilled/tapped it for a grease nipple and packed it with grease once installed. That should solve any rusting issues, down the road.

Those track rod guards do look tempting, has anybody try to make their own?

Todd.

this was the thing I was talking about. You want Gwyn's, though. Its box so seriously strong (unlike the U section scrapiron one) and well made. The gaurd I took off was very simerlar but wouldn't take a Sumo bar...

Ah William, but there you are wrong. This is a mahoosive chunk of metal with lots of braces and brackets, plenty strong. It also take a snadge less than ten minutes to remove. Never judge a book by it's cover, especially when you have only read the abridged paperback version :lol: