The law on passengers in the back of soft top 90 with canvas off

if you hit an artic then it would be a slightly more than 60mph equivalent.

like above though with equal momentum and mass, the maximum speed is halved. so its the same as hitting a wall at 60 NOT 120.

mythbusters did it a while back too

Not wanting to get this off topic so lets just accept its 60mph of grief in one vehicle and 60mph of grief in the other that makes 120 mph worth of grief which what I was trying to get across( not impact speed) but I accept where the debate on what the impact speed works out at.

Far far too many variables the masses are rarely exactly equal and they dont hit exactly at the same point height angle etc.

Trafman

Not wanting to get this off topic so lets just accept its 60mph of grief in one vehicle and 60mph of grief in the other that makes 120 mph worth of grief which what I was trying to get across( not impact speed) but I accept where the debate on what the impact speed works out at.

Far far too many variables the masses are rarely exactly equal and they dont hit exactly at the same point height angle etc.

Trafman

Wasn't trying to belittle the grief and injury involved in that sort of accident, I just found it a curious point of physics.

Trafman - thank you for a good, informative post!

On the physics question - In a Land Rover, hitting most other vehicles, it's probably closer to a 30mph collision due to relative mass and crumple zones in the other car!

However, even a 30mph collision is about the same as falling 30 feet on to concrete - which is less than nice (I imagine). This equivalence always put the speed we travel at on the road into sharp perspective for me!

Si

• Like 1