200TDI Oil Leak.

So... I've had a difficult to diagnose oil leak for a few months now and I really need to get it stopped as soon as possible.

Defender 200TDI; the oil is ending up on the bolts on either side of the drain port on the bottom of the bellhousing. I don't see any evidence of a leak from above or any evidence of it coming out of the drain port.

I'm all for ideas on where to look, I thought it could be the fuel pump but changed the gasket there with no effect.

The rear main was changed when I did the clutch in the fall. I'm hoping I don't have to pull it back apart, what's the best test for that? I was thinking I could plug the drain port with rolled up paper towel and see if it still gets around or backs up? Is that logical?

Could you possibly point to the thread you referenced please?

I've got the same problem on my disco 200tdi engine, I fitted a new rear crank seal when I fitted the engine approx 3 weeks ago, upto now I was assuming I must have somehow fitted the seal incorrectly so I'm relieved to hear it's a common problem

Fully re-sealed the valve cover; used "The Right Stuff" on both sides and to fix the half-moons and still a whole lot came out; enough that this really needs to be fixed before any more trips. My guess is either around the lift pump or the plate the lift pump bolts to. I'm waiting for things to cool down and will pressure wash everything I can get to and see how things look after a short in-situ running.

No, this one is a Defender engine. I guess I'll order both drain hoses and all the gaskets on the lift-pump side and change them all out, then new oil lines etc until the problem goes away.

Nope; haven't had the sump off. It'll just be one part at a time until it stops leaking; but it's leaking enough to worry. Enough that the oil lines at the filter end are suspect; could just be an o-ring even but will get things clean and run it inside so I can get a better look.

I did an oil change last week to make sure the filter gasket wasn't bad etc; going to have to pick up some more oil before I take things apart too much but I think I've managed to pressure wash the block enough that I'll be able to hopefully see where the leak is. I'd get one of the UV indicator systems but not in the budget right now; and oddly the rental places never seem to have the really useful things you might only use once a year, only the cheap things you could buy for a couple rentals anyway.

I'm also suspecting it could be damage to the hose from the cyclone to the sump; but around the lift pump is still pretty likely since it only happens when running.

Well, it looks like it is in fact the secondary housing to engine gasket. Any advice on fixing this, once, and having it last? Transmission out again or engine out? Is using 'The Right Stuff' gasket maker good enough or do I absolutely need to order a new gasket and put off the fix until next weekend? Worth trying one of the stop-leak agents short-term to try to slow the leak to at least something manageable until I can get the parts to fix it?

Confirming that ERR1440 is the only gasket it can be if the oil is coming out in front of the secondary housing and behind the engine and between the two lower bolts and nowhere else.

:i-m_so_happy: they don't last forever and a bloody pain , big job for a tenner of gasket ,if I do a rear main I do this as well

Oil leaks are my major OCD prob , makes me wonder why I gravitated to LR's sometimes ha ha

cheers

Steveb

Well, at least engine-out will let me fix my engine mounts. I had Richards make custom bolt-in mounts; but nobody thought (on either side) to change the spacing slightly to account for the added backing plate... so it's a bit of a tight fit... that'll be nice to fix.

So, it is leaking quite a bit, my only vehicle at the moment and it is increasingly looking like it will be at least weeks before I can pull the engine to fix it. So, crazy bodge idea time.

It seems urethane foams might be oil resistant enough for this to work; short term at least. I am making a couple assumptions though the first is that there are no pressurized channels between the block and the flywheel housing.

My question is, since the gap is fairly large between the two housings... has anyone tried this as a short-term measure? I realize in a few weeks I'll have to clean it all off and do it right, but living out of town and losing a litre a day just can't continue and none of the stop-leak type approaches have been any help.

• 2 weeks later...

So, this is now resolved (once the engine is back in), and ... if you get this leak; deal with it immediately, the problem was much more serious than first thought. It wasn't that the gasket had failed, it was that the top two bolts holding on the flywheel housing were gone and 2 more had the heads sheared off (which explains why the bellhousing had holes in it when I first got the vehicle from an apparently spurious bolt head left inside) and could also explain some of the clutch troubles I've had. I'd almost go as far as recommending checking this if you're doing your clutch already.