300tdi lift pump

How often do these blasted things give up the ghost? I have owned my Defender since 2003 and have changed lift pumps in June 2003, August 2004, March 2011 (record-breaker!), March 2013 and yesterday! I know that they're a common failing point but I for crying out loud, failing after just over a year is excessive. I have always replaced them with Delphi pumps (that's the only brand I can find on the local market). Has anyone else experienced such frequent failures?

Mine kind of decline with time. I keep looking at replacing mine with electric, but the list of more important things keeps getting added to. I have another reason as I want to out a dual filter SVO system on and if I fit two electric lift pumps, then I can get these to switch with the relevant tank and keep them in the correct order in the fuel lines I.e. Before the filter.

I changed mine to a electric one, left the old one in place and put a loop of hose from input to output. It had not failed, but was not sure it would deliver the fuel needed for some mods / tweaks I did. I mean yes it would, but thought to see what the different would be and so far it's great.
Used one of these - Facet Posi-Flow Electric Fuel Pump 7.0-10.0 psi (with filter/hose union)

I changed mine to a electric one, left the old one in place and put a loop of hose from input to output. It had not failed, but was not sure it would deliver the fuel needed for some mods / tweaks I did. I mean yes it would, but thought to see what the different would be and so far it's great.

Used one of these - Facet Posi-Flow Electric Fuel Pump 7.0-10.0 psi (with filter/hose union)

Interesting. Have you got a link?

In my case it's total lack of fuel being delivered, the Disco simply dies! I've been told that the modern diesel fuels don't have enough lubricants for the rubber diaphragms in the lift pumps. Who knows if it's the problem but having to replace the lift pump so often is wearing thin.

Todd.

Back on my first 300tdi 90 15 years ago it would loose power only at full throttle on the motorway- would seem to starve and then surge. We used it for a year before we changed the lift pump as we never used it on the motorway and it was fine in everyday use. That was the original lift pump failing.

I've also had another original pump on another 300tdi fail - it worked 100% but the truck always smelt of diesel when parked and on inspection the lift pump was leaking fuel.

Last one I've had a cheap pattern one totally fail - the operating arm snapped off!

I have replaced all mine with delphi as they seem to be the only branded pump easily available. The additional filter in the top of them is handy too.

Could you have another underlying issue, like a fuel blockage somewhere? If you have a restriction the pump will have to work hard all the time to deliver fuel to the injector pump. Also, do you change your fuel filter often?

Check in the tank for bits that might cause a restriction in the fuel delivery, maybe blow through the pipework with a compressor.