Rover V8, Discovery diffs, AND overdrive??

Scooby Jim

My overdrive came with a free land rover attached :P

Cool.

Right while I have you lot interested, can I pick your brains??

I have changed from 10 inch to the 11x3 brake setup and am running this Bearmach master.

WP_20140115_012.jpg

Now the Red is all plumbed up and is holding fluid.

The GREEN however is not its leaking through the union where the copper pipe is going, now I'm unsure as to if its size (can't remember) think someone said it was 1/2 inch UNF but iirc that didnt fit.

The fittings are 7/16th and 3/8th (from looking at my progress thread, put it there so I'd remember lo), so 7/16 being the larger??

If so, I need a 7/16th for 3/16th pipe, as I think mine is too large a bore in the union at 5/16ths I think.

Does it need to be 5/16ths bore pipe?? As I can change that no problems. Or will the twin leading shoe setup be ok with 3/16ths pipe??

You can see from these I got the 5/16ths holed unions when they should be 3/16th.

WP_20140413_011-1.jpg

WP_20140413_012-1.jpg

Sorry I am coming to this a bit late, but I have disco diffs and an overdrive in my SWB truck cab with a 2.5 na diesel and it goes really well. The overdrive is only useful on the motorway and once going over 60 it will stay there. I found 7.50 tyres too tall for normal driving and it would struggle on hills. Been running it for a few years now and used most days. No real off roading though. Around 25 to 30 mpg and will go faster than I have dared drive it.

Hi folks. Late into the discussion, so apologies - I have been busy with interviews for a new job, which did involve a long drive which may be relevant!

As mentioned, I have been running this and other gearing combinations behind a Tdi, so have some relevant experiences. The V8 torque curves differ and are a little taller at peak, but the smoother application of the V8 should mitigate its higher output. As should its noise level in respect to driver comfort.

So, what have I found?

With 4.71 (standard) diffs and overdrive behind the Tdi, the car was under geared. Maximum comfortable driving speed was around 60 mph due to noise levels, though the car would top out at about 82mph. With all the accessories on the outside, and the increased weight due to the mods, I got a comparatively meagre 27mpg - not bad for the vehicle, but less than many owners with clean, light 88"s report. The good news is that 27mpg was utterly consistent whether I used super-duper diesel or supermarket diesel, and whether it was long motorway use or combined cycle use too and from work with all those hills, junctions and town driving.

With 3.54 diffs, I get 30 mpg with or without overdrive. Again, this is extremely consistent, regardless of type of journey or grade of diesel. Total gearing is overgeared in first, but the engine still runs out of revs in 4th and is undergeared on fast roads.

The overdrive and 3.54 diffs together are overgeared for a Tdi, and I suspect even a V8, hence the lack of economy improvement with the overdrive (the same 30mpg). Top end speed is similar, too, as the engine runs out of torque at about the same road speed that it previously ran out of revs. With the overdrive, engine noise in the cruise is greatly reduced, but at the expense of considerably more gear noise at all speeds. Transmission noise is up, but the main noise problem at the practical limit of 70mph is from the tyres and airflow (again, my accessories will be a significant factor).

In general terms, 3.54s are not a nice drive. They are too tall for hill starts, on road as well as off, and they will have adverse effects off road as they seriously reduce the engine braking in first low. They're fine once up to speed, except that on standard transmissions, 30mph is a nice low rpm rumble in 4th gear, which as a straight-through coupling, makes minimum noise, heat and wear losses in the gear box. However, with 3.54 diffs, 30mph is a mid-revs 3rd gear drive, with increased heat generation and wear, as well as reduced engine efficiency.

Furthermore, and most critically, combined use of 3.54 diffs and overdrive puts far more strain on the gear box than it can safely handle. Behind a V8 or Tdi, it will eventually shear the teeth off the gears or cause other internal failures if used in any gear other than fourth. The 3.54 diffs essentially limit the overdrive to acting as a fifth gear unless you don't mind frequently rebuilding the gear box.

The ideal combination would be to have 4.11 diffs and overdrive, but that gets really expensive.

So, assuming you are retaining the standard transmission, you have to decide whether to go 3.54 diffs, od or both. The diffs are inflexible but quieter and more efficient. You will lose the ease of driving at low speeds and on hills. The OD is much more flexible, but noisier and a little less efficient, but at least lo speed driving, off roading, towing and hills are no problem. And the combination where you have the increased gear noise and the possibility of gear box failure unless you make sure you always disengage the od before selecting lower gears, but more comfortable noise levels overall for long range driving at a practical limit of 70mph.

There is a trick for mitigating the offroad issues of the tall diffs. Using SII Suffix B low range gears will offset roughly half of that diff gearing increase. Of course, these can be used in conjunction with the standard diffs for those wanting lower than standard gearing offroad.

I am continuing to use the 3.54 diffs and OD together until my RRC is restored (a long time), bt once I can use that for commuting, the 109 will definitely be going back to 4.71 diffs.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

Right my plan is now this, to work with what I have and to get a set of 4.7 diffs.

I will fit my overdrive when I have bought a clutch sleeve, and longer rod. Then see what that does.

But I will look to get a set of standard Series 3 diffs. Atleast I can have either now.

Not bad, but would have been much better complete, as finding parts for them is a nightmare..... Good luck :)

Yeah deffo but for £40 even in parts I could get that back I think.

Found these. All I'm missing is the clutch and a longer rod, but i may fabricate one of those as its just a rod.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-FAIREY-OVERDRIVE-CLUTCH-SLEEVE-OVERHAUL-KIT-/390708060308?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5af803e094

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/shop4autopartsnet_W0QQ_fsubZ15167437

Rocky Mountain Spares do them: http://www.rockymountainspares.co.uk/?page_id=41 If the rest of the overdrive is in good order, then at £40 you're on to a winner.

Thanks for that I must have overlooked those when I was looking at their transfer case sump cover. Interesting.

I am going to buy one of their bottle openers too, so two birds one stone lol.

just a quick point. went up to cleethorpes at the weekend to pick up a TD4 freelander and i returned 27mpg on a 220 mile round trip with the trailer on. i wasnt hanging about on the way up (obviously stuck to the 60mph motorway speed limit) i sat at about 52 all the way back it was just within the lower end of the torque band in top overdrive i did have to drop into 4th i think 4 or 5 times but i expected to need to drop it a lot more than that. and thats with an extra 150kg worth of water ballast on board.

i find that 3rd overdrive almost very low revs is ideal 30mph town gear extremely efficient at that too.

i did have to drop it to low box to set off up a hill but if anyone knows the hill coming up out of cromford towards wirksworth they will know its a fairly steepun and i could get up to third on that and sit at 25mph quite happily with the hippo in tow. i could of thrashed it for 30 but whats the point?

£40 for a decent overdrive is a steal! hope you manage to get the rest of the bits within a decent price range!

How long have you been running the configuration, Mikey? The reason I ask is that my gear box was right as rain with the overdrive behind the Tdi for years, but less than six months after fitting the Defender axles (3.54 diffs), I pulled two teeth off third gear, and I had been using 3rd with overdrive quite a bit just as you describe for 30mph zones.

i converted to 3.54 diffs before the overdrive, had the diffs about 4-5 years and the overdrive not that long after that. my box did eat third gear on the layshaft but that was due to a mate trying to use the clutch to kick the back end out. of course i used my foot to kick his back end after that!!!

lol

Since I started reading this topic, I've bought a Series 2A with standard transmission but fitted with a Holden 202 motor (roughly the same as a 3.3litre Vauxhall Victor in-line six, for those in England). I have noticed very quickly that a) the standard gearing feels ludicrously low in top and b) I wouldn't want low first to be any higher!

I guess it depends on what you are doing (and, of course, those V8s seem able to pull any gear you throw at them) but giving up low speed crawling ability for higher road speed seems to go against the whole point of a Series Land Rover. An overdrive, of course, overcomes the problem but fitting higher geared diffs is a big compromise if you want a decent off-roader. On my Stage One V8, I get the best of both worlds because you can mix and match transfer gears on those, so it's high on the road and low (very low!) off road. Perfick.

How sideways are we talking here? Only over the past couple of weeks I've read a number of posts on here about drifting a Series Land Rover. I'm not saying it can't be done, just curious what people are actually meaning,

Talking bo duke sideways! all the more epic with AC/DC blasting out too, unfortunately i dont have any videos because its not something i tend to have a video camera out for haha The ATB does make it more controllable than it used to be though