Drum to disc conversion decision

eds

Have I got to account for this?

1) The 90/110 front hubs are slightly wider than the Salisbury drum braked hubs, so you can't use the thick spacer washer from the Salisbury under its bearing nuts. I used Discovery spacer washers to press the wheel bearings back against the stub axle, with the inner edge bevelled with a file to allow it sit over the beginning of the smooth section of the stub axle - if you don't bevel the washer, it won't press against the bearings and you'll have way too much end float;

leave the thick spacer out, if fitted the bearing lock nuts won't screw fully on to the stub thread, I used a extra lock washer as a shim then both lock nuts & the normal locking washer can be used.

in one of the threads someone machined 2 new spacer/bearing support rings.

All the threads on my Salisbury Drum-to-Disc made my brain hurt too...

In the end I copied the LR parts catalogue, which removes the need for spacers. The only time I deviated was the hubs, 300 TDi Discovery rears.

le0019a.gif

All fitted together perfectly, apart from a senior moment late one night when I attempt to fit the front hubs instead.

I managed to find the spacers on a scrapper for not much, but apart from those and the hubs, I was able to use all new parts, and the cost was somewhere around £250...

Matt

leave the thick spacer out, if fitted the bearing lock nuts won't screw fully on to the stub thread, I used a extra lock washer as a shim then both lock nuts & the normal locking washer can be used.

in one of the threads someone machined 2 new spacer/bearing support rings.

me ^_^ , I machined a thinner bearing support washer out of 303 stainless, the inside face is radiused to sit inside the outer bearing profile, the outer face is flat and has a 3mm thickness to snug the locknuts up against.

The original washer as Western says the original is too thick to allow both nuts to be fitted, it also would sit too far out to allow the outer oil seal to be of use, hence the "deleted outside oil seal".

spacer3

spacer2

spacer1

Not sure all 300 stubs will fit the end of your salisbury axle tubes, hence the mix and match.

copied from an earlier thread.......

"Ok think I have figured it out

ABS stub axles cannot work with any other axle

200tdi and earlier stub axles are part number FRC8540

300tdi stub axles are part number FTC1740

These are interchangeable

however the TD5 abs ones are part number FTC3188 and cannot be interchanged"

After digesting the information I am going to go with Mike's conversion as above.

The only outstanding question is the bearing/seal setup.

I think it is standard except no outer hub oil seal, so it goes ( outer bearing-washer-nut-washer-nut).

I am not sure why I can't see the outer oil hub seal in any drawings of the front bearing set up.......... Am I missing the point.

The only outstanding question is the bearing/seal setup.

I think it is standard except no outer hub oil seal, so it goes ( outer bearing-washer-nut-washer-nut).

I am not sure why I can't see the outer oil hub seal in any drawings of the front bearing set up.......... Am I missing the point.

That sounds about right for the bearing set up.

There is no outer seal on front hubs bar I believe some range rovers.

Mike

When it comes to hubs FRC6139 - are the number of splines irrelevant.......... 10 or 24 should make no difference surely.........

Do I have 10 or 24 on my '93 200 110?

Are disco front hubs the same?

I was betting confused by ebay adverts selling front hubs as old 10 spline versions for a 93 defender.

Are 200tdi disco front hubs the same? My research suggests the disco uses 300tdi hubs........... I'll keep looking for some 200 front defender hubs

Not entirely right- there are different types of hub with varied spacing between the inner and outer wheel bearings, those with the wider spacing also having greater protrusion of the drive flange mating face from the wheel mounting flange. The change-over was around the time of the 200 to 300 Tdi, why you can't fit standard LR alloys on an earlier vehicle; it's not just the thickness of the drive flange.