Alternator Upgrade V8 90 but guess will do others too

I have had a couple of PMs so have done the post below.

The V8 90 had as std a Luca*se 45 amp alternator, which was not ever much use.

About 10 months ago I shoved a recon (more 'con' than 're') alternator on it, and it went again this weekend :angry:

Doesn't help that the 2x fans just fitted draw 20 amp EACH when running -

...........erm and 45 amp alternator :angry: Hmmm....

So, I posted on the forum for options, and did some reasearch, .

JW had done this mod, as have I belive have BBC and Tonk, but maybe without the probs I had ?

So, 1st take off old alternator having been to scrappy and gained a £10 MONDEO 1.8 alternator,

place on workbench and feel chuffed they look so similar :

Alternatorupgrade-005Medium.jpg

Erm

Then notice................

Mondeo has 12mm mounting holes,............. Lucas has 8mm.

The Mounting bracket on the engine if drilled to 12mm would make the wall very thin and alternator may crack mounting....

Mondeo has Serpentine pulley, ...........lucas doesn't................... having normal pulley

BUT.............

Mondeo is 60 amp at tickover and 90 at full chat ........and only a tenner..... :D

So, machine out some reducers on the lathe so the 2 mounting holes go down to 8mm, these can easily be knocked out should the Bosch Mondeo unit fail and have to be replaced, then refitted to new unit...these were made a flush fit.

Alternatorupgrade-010Medium.jpg

The front pulley I thought was an easy swap, ....................

..............oh no it wasn't ...............and for more reasons than you know as yet....

The LR Alternator shaft is 15mm OD the Bosch Mondeo one is 17mm, thought was easy drill out a spare pulley I had to 17mm....there are pulleys out there that are 17mm shaft size, ................

hunt for them in your scrappy ...........as I do not know which they are on ??

Hey ho bore out a spare pulley................

Alternatorupgrade-003Medium.jpg

...........Oh little did I know what I had done here :lol: ...............

Then the wiring, ...............

just as I was about to think about it JW turned up, ......and he made double quick work of modding the wiring.

The std Rectangular plug has 2 thick wires (which go to the starter terminal) and 1 thin "sensor" wire,

the Mondeo has helpfully 2 posts a big one for the main feed (the 2 wires or replacement 1 big wire to starter terminal) and the small to the sensor terminal.

In no time JW had sorted this nicely..............so it was fit it time.

With the spacers and a single washer it fitted perfectly, ..........wired up and....

Ignition on - .............light on dash went out...

Started - .............no charge and loads of burning smells :o , ...........so switched off.

Much checking form JW and myself concluded I had bought a dud,

to cut a very long story short I "Phoned a friend" who works at a Motor Factors and has a mondeo - and he bought a brand new one at staff rate - mmmmm cheap new bosch.

Collected - fitted - started and ................

SAME :o smoke smell red hot pulley but wasn't charging ?????? :unsure:

Multiple phone calls later and having checked and rechecked the wiring I was totally stumped

and in a foul mood,.......... it was only when a very knowledgeable mate pop around that it was sorted - in about 2 mins

There are 2 types of pulley "V"s and I had the wrong one - the pulley was making the belt try to fit,

and was burning, ........a new pulley of the correct type (and you do have to look close type 1 is a V, type 2 is a different V and has a flat at the base of the V - and they are NOT (as I know now) interchangable !! did the trick and all was well

To say I was "Hacked off" at this point would be a classic understatement.....

But........Sorted :)

Alternatorupgrade-006Medium.jpg

I in the end made a spacer to ensure the pulleys all lined up 100%, 17mm ID and 26mm OD 3.2mm thick

Job done, I have kept the top bolt as 12mm as the slider is 12mm too, this makes for a simple (apart from the pulley saga) cheap (cept for buying 2x of the Damned things :lol: - but have a spare :D ) powerfull 90 amp system but it does need a tad of tweaking to make a good modded fit....

Alternatorupgrade-011Medium.jpg

Worth it if you need more charging...but not as I found a "Nuts and Bolts Jobbie ?"

Nige

It is simpkle even for me -

From alterbator termainal to starter.

And thats it

I have to shortly change the entire EFI INjection loom (to sort misfire out) and may redo in 10mm cable then, prob will go a la 3.9s and go from alternator across injectors, down back of block and round the starter as this aviods the heat from exhaust the best.....

and thats the wiring !

Even HFH can do this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Nige

Nice Job ! and great pics

One question..how did you get the pulley to drive the alternator as you must have removed most of the keyway when drilling the pulley

One note of interest in why you only find serpentine drive type alternators with large current outputs is that to preduce more electrical energy out (ie current) you have to put more mechanical energy in (through drive belt) and the serpentine belt set up has a larger belt to pulley contact area. I have heard stories of high current v belt setups catching fire the belt got so hot

I got round this by fitting a fatter belt - in the motor factors they have belts coded by length & width, stock ones are either 10 or 11mm (if not less), I fitted a 13mm thick one and bolted on a pulley from a dead Nissan something or other alternator and it worked fine. That was a 90A alt.

Nice Job ! and great pics

One question..how did you get the pulley to drive the alternator as you must have removed most of the keyway when drilling the pulley

Basically the 17m shaft has at the back of it a increase to around 28mm, with a flat area. This is what amazingly I bolted the pulley up to, no keyway left etc, just a very snug fit on the shaft some loctite and dogged up super tight.

Before everyone jumps up and down shouting "Keyway" and "Thats wrong it won't work" it does.....and the serpentine pulley that I removed worked on exactly the above method !!

Odd but thats how these are,

Nige

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi nice write up

what exact model of mondeo is this alternator from please. I have tried to run a search and found different types of alternators..

you mentioned 1.8. Is that petrol or diesel? And which years if possible... I am not that much into mondeo's so excuse my ignorance on the subject matter.

thanks a lot

I've had three from different Mundaneos now - not sure which cars but all have been 90a. The 1.8 petrol definitely had the 90a alt.

The alt is mounted in such a way that you can read the amperage easily from above.

The alt is a bit awkward to get at to remove from the mondeo. It's located on the driver's side towards the back of the engine bay. I found that if the front offside wheel is off the car, an arm and a spanner through the wheelarch can access the underneath of the alt.

If anyone's really interested I'll do a write up for fitting to a Disco 200Tdi engine.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

"Its from the 19scrapyard range of Mondeos" :P

I cannot remember what year it was, but I will see if I can you the part number off it, I looked at several in the yard, chose this one cos the engine was out on the ground :lol:

I think the one I have has been used for years and years over a rnage of Mondeos, and is regarded by many as a "Fit and Forget" alternator.

Be back later today as will be in the garaeg and will have a peeky

Nige

thanks to all..

particullarly interested in the one featured on this thread since the ones i have seen on the net mount in a different way. And since this is for a V8 fitting it pretty much explained well here and it seems to be a tried and tested fit..

Thanks hybrid from hell.. a part number will be awesome since i got friends of mine coming over to Uk for land rover related purchases and can send them running around at the breaker's since around Malta it seems that are not many Mondeo' around.

Cil

Hi Cil, the mondeo alternator is fairly common over here as it was fitted to a large number of the PETROL mondeo models. They are often sold on ebay second hand, new, and remanufactured. The diesel one is different.

The most commonly used reference number for this alternator is LRA 960 and it was used on many engines/cars including these:

COUGER 2.0 16V 10/98-00

FORD Mondeo 1.6i 16V (FD) 93-96

FORD Mondeo 1.6i 16V (GD) 96-98

FORD Mondeo 1.6i 16V AT (FD) 93-96

FORD Mondeo 1.8i 16V (FD) 93-96

FORD Mondeo 1.8i 16V (GD) 96-98

FORD Mondeo 1.8i 16V AT (FD) 93-96

FORD Mondeo 2.0i 16V (FD) 93-96

FORD Mondeo 2.0i 16V (GD) 96-98

FORD Mondeo 2.0i 16V 4x4 (FD) 95-96

FORD Mondeo 2.0i 16V 4x4 AT (FD) 93-96

FORD Mondeo 2.0i 16V AT (FD) 93-96

I am sure there are other years and models that it was fitted to, but this is the info I found just now. I have another application list somewhere I will see if I can find it later.

As Nige and others have pointed out, although they may not be a straight bolt on job, they are a good budget alternator with good power and a reputation for longevity and can be adapted to most of the landrover engines.

I have been sorting one of these to fit on a 2.5 petrol 4 cylinder. Pretty straight forward mod with no lathe used. I will do a write up sometime.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Diff

thanks to all..

particullarly interested in the one featured on this thread since the ones i have seen on the net mount in a different way. And since this is for a V8 fitting it pretty much explained well here and it seems to be a tried and tested fit..

Thanks hybrid from hell.. a part number will be awesome since i got friends of mine coming over to Uk for land rover related purchases and can send them running around at the breaker's since around Malta it seems that are not many Mondeo' around.

Cil

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops !

Forgot...............sorry :olo:

Beeen "Millin" (its legal now yer know :lol: )

I'll promuise I will ahve a peeky for the number

Nige

• 10 months later...
Don't laugh but would it have not been easier to fit a late classic alternator as the wiring is basically the same for a classic engine to a defender and the RRC is 100 amp

Jules,

I KNOW I considered this but for some reason I discounted it, I think it was to do with fit / position but I just can't remember :lol:

Also the fact the scrappys wnat like £5 ish for a mondeo one as they have loads and sell a few as they are relaible, and the fact that unlike Lucas ones they don't seem to have the issue with brushes / mus / stopping working :)....

But now I am trying to remember why I didn't go as you mentioned, I am sure is is cos my alternator is driver side front ???

Nige :huh: