Whats your thoughts on dealers doing this?

Ok a couple of weeks ago I was watching a 130 on eBay. At the moment I haven't got the cash to spend on one but keeping on eye out for when I do.

Anyway this went for a steal.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/291250325610

Now look at it.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/291251748162?nav=SEARCH

Is it dealers pushing up the value of defenders? By watching eBay all day and and getting the good one's and selling them for 5 grand more?

Well that is what the motor trade is really, buying a vehicle, doing any work required as cheap as possible and making as much profit as you can. It's irritating when you're in the market for such a vehicle and they're being bought up but to be fair, anyone had the chance to buy the vehicle first time round and at that price it was cheap. In this particular case i think the dealer has done it all wrong, removing the boosts was the wrong move and if on steels they should always be white. For that sort of money he really should have had all the dents pulled and replaced the lower corners of the front of the tub that are missing.

As said it really is capitalism and the motor trade, it is untidy of the re-seller perhaps to make it so easy for you to draw the comparison mind as you know the figure they paid for it which could be useful leverage for someone. However at the end of the day if garages and dealers didn't sell on for more than they buy in then like all businesses they won't be around for very long.

If people are being greedy then the market will self correct intime as purchasers won't buy at that figure as they don't see it holding that value then either that figure will come back down to align with the 'real' value of the item in the buyers eyes or they will go out of business through lack of sales.

Sorry but I dont understand what the problem is.....................

This is how ALL business works. If it didnt, we would ALL be out of a job. Even those in cushy public sector jobs eventually.

You had the opportunity to buy the vehicle, but didn't. You could have done what they are doing. Would you sell me your current vehicle for half of what its worth ? Of course you wouldnt, that would be stupid in the extreme.

What exactly IS anything worth ? Its worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, and Its all about perceived value. Thats why a a BMW is apparently WORTH more than a Vauxhall for example. It isnt, but it is perceived to be........Like the Emperors new clothes.

Everyone wants the stuff they need/want for as little as possible, but on the other hand want as much money as possible for as little work as possible, but sadly it doesnt always work out like this in life. Some people are luckier than others, or have made better life choices. If this were not so, we would ALL be living in big houses, and have a boat, helicopter etc etc.

Lets face it, Land Rover Defenders are carp, I should know, I have had enough of them, and they are NOT worth the prices asked or paid, but still we buy them. I couldnt have afforded to buy it either (at the first sale price) but if I had WANTED it enough, I would have found the money from somewhere if it were possible.

At the end of the day, you either want it, or you dont..............................

Ok maybe I was having a rant over nothing, that is how dealers work. Buy it and sell it for more.

At the time I expected it to go for around £12.000 which is much than I can afford at the moment. But if I had even thought it would go for £7000 I could have managed to get that sort of money. O well that's life.

I will get my defender one day.

It's been out in the open, for everyone to see, and nobody wanted to bid. I suppose if it were a 90, you would have a lot more interest, I think a 130 sells to a more specific buyer.

Or maybe someone had a look at it and thought its not as described.

So the seller is taking a punt on whether it is selling. Sit back and wait!

Ebay is a bit of a 2 edged sword; there are bargains if you look for it, but there is an awful lot of garbage also.

But yes, that's a trader's business. I'd look at car auctions myself, because that is were most traders get their stock.

Daan

if I had even thought it would go for £7000 I could have managed to get that sort of money. O well that's life.

Bad luck mate, but at least you'll be on it in future... the auto bid feature is a life saver. Along with that auction best practice of deciding your limit before hand and sticking to it so you're not saying shoulda woulda coulda afterward.

Does look like the guy is sloppy though. Seems to just try and make a car look god rather than actually be good.

If it's any consolation, I see (here in Eire) a much better bonatti grey 2009 model with 62k miles, a sump guard and underseal and for the £12k of that green one. And another, 2006, black with 47k miles, new brakes, snorkel, big arches, superwinch and a hell of a lot of other stuff for a little less.

If it's any consolation, I see (here in Eire) a much better bonatti grey 2009 model with 62k miles, a sump guard and underseal and for the £12k of that green one. And another, 2006, black with 47k miles, new brakes, snorkel, big arches, superwinch and a hell of a lot of other stuff for a little less.

Are these private sales? I've got family in Tullamore so not to far away.

Ok maybe I was having a rant over nothing, that is how dealers work. Buy it and sell it for more.

At the time I expected it to go for around £12.000 which is much than I can afford at the moment. But if I had even thought it would go for £7000 I could have managed to get that sort of money. O well that's life.

I will get my defender one day.

Sorry Chris, I read my post again and it sort of comes across as a personal attack..................

It isnt, and wasnt meant to be !

• 2 weeks later...