Series 3 lift kit?

MBE_NZ

please excuse the totally ignorant question -
I have recently acquired an 85 series 3 SWB and have been offered some 35x12.5 tyres fitted on 15 inch 10.5 wide rims and am wondering what I would need to do to the vehicle so they fit OK. the rims are fine - I'm concerned about tyres doing damage to the vehicle - guards, undercarriage etc

Q1 - some people mention a "2 inch lift" what exactly is included in "a lift kit" - is that body lift or sping lift or both? also
Q2 - would a "2 inch lift kit" address any concerns, would 2 inches be enough or would it be unnecessary at all?

at this point I'm just wanting to ensure that the vehicle will fit the wheels without doing any damage. I will do doubt look into the offroad capability / articulation etc later too
any advise appreciated

35" might be too big for the half shafts etc... They might snap under the extra strain. But most lift kits will specify if it's body, suspension or both. Body lift is typically little plastic blocks between the chassis and body, suspension is springs etc. Where in NZ are you mate?

There was a one-tonne series2 with 9.50x16 tyres. (basically forward control tyres). It sat lot higher than normal at the springs. I don't remember it being spoa. Rover probably went for a heavier spring with more curve. In theory longer bump stops as well? Definitely more than a 2" lift above an 88".

I'd pass on them. The mechanics of them won't suit a series unless you have a need to drive soft ground and can stand losing all the axel flex. I'm for going the other way and changing my 7.50x16 for 205x16, heading back toward the 6.00x16 it should have.

Hi,

Land Rover (as apposed to Range Rover & Discovery) bodies ad held on with bolts that lie in a horizontal plane, body lift kits with plastic blocks only work on fixings that lie in a vertical plane as they are just spacers and longer bolts so it would be a bit more involved to lift a body.

Series suspension lift would be either arched leaf springs (parabolic) or just military type shakles?

This a simple view, you need to look at bump stops and shocks as well.

None of this answers your main question of will the wheel/tyre combination fit though.

Marc

There isn't really such a thing as a lift for a Series, they don't work that way. There is the military chassis which has an additional set of holes for the springs which lift the vehicle about an inch and a half, and then there are parabolic springs which lift it a bit more too. Trouble is para's flex more than standard, so while the wheel might clear sat on the drive when you fit them, they'll start catching the body very quickly. They'll also catch the springs much much quicker when cornering, so your turning circle will be even worse than normal.

If you want a lifted vehicle, buy a defender.

First question, do you actually "want & need" to fit the 35" tyres?

I was offered a full set of 35" simex copies with rims for my Disco, price was amazing, too good to turn down, but I did, why? I don't need 35" tyres and there would be no gains apart from aesthetics as I would need a super low ratio to make any use of them off road, they are a huge tyre and I think the 32" tyres I have are about as much as I would comfortably put on my truck for fear of over stressing the stock drive train, to go any bigger and to make effective use of such tyres would warrant rather big spends on uprated drive line, just my opinion.

If you had a need for such a tyre then you would be fitting it to the wrong base vehicle, that series is 30yrs old and the base mechnicals are much older in design and you couuld be buying more problems than you realize! They were built for 28" tyres, 35 is 1/4 of that again :o Expect half shafts and diffs to go pop regular if you plan to drive places a set of tyres like that can take you.

1-Ton shackles by themselves are a bad idea - they incline the spring and rotate the axle, screwing up the prop and steering geometry unless you also use 1-Ton spring hangers (dumbirons for the front and outriggers for the 109 rear springs - you'd have to fabricate extended mounts for 88" rear spring hangers). Parabolics typically lift the chassis 2-3", but cheap ones sag within months, so buy quality springs. I'm inclined to agree that anything over 9.00 tyres is going to have bad results on the transmission.

I fitted GME parabolics in place of a good set of British Springs multileafs and whilst the ride quality has been transformed there was no discernible lift. The amount of lift seams to vary with each brand.

I am running 235/85R16's so approx. 31" - a pretty common size for a Series 3 and with the increased articulation the parabolics give they rub the rear arches when offroad to the point that during the last outing they've put a curve in the arches and cuts in the edge of the tread blocks - time for some extended bump stops and check straps!

This is on a Lightweight so less bodywork to catch and I'd dread to think what you'd get from a set of 35" tyres.

15040024593_89aaf3387c_z.jpg