Very Sluggish 300 tdi

Mean Green

My "new" 300tdi Discovery seems very sluggish in comparison to my 200 tdi 90. It is particularly bad when it is cold. It will happily cruise at 70+ but takes a little while to get there and overtaking is .. er... interesting!

It still has EGR fitted (although disconnected), however I plan to remove this ASAP.

Is there anything else that could be causing this type of fault?

id make it feel like its going well before touching the pump. no point in just hiding faults?

you say the filters where done, was the fuel sedimentor cleaned? its just infront of the tank mounted on the offside chassis rail. use an 11mm 7/16" spanner on the top to take it apart - ignore the drain screw they just break. as said check the air filter.

if thats not it, take the fuel filter off - if its not full then the lift pump is probably dead.

another thing to check is the diaphram in the injection pump. take the squareish cap off to expose this, make sure you mark where it is before taking it out. if its spilt the pump wont fuel up as the boost increases.

the pipe between the IP & the turbo could be spilt causing the same fault as above.

turbo isnt producing full boost? spilt pipe? knackered actuator?

just few suggestions to start with anyway :D

If the EGR has been disconnected - remove the intercooler hose to the inlet and look inside the manifold. A failed EGR causes a build-up of marmite, and this may not have been cleaned out.

Has the timing belt been changed, and do you know if the timing was re-set at the same time?

Les. :)

• 3 weeks later...
ignore the drain screw they just break.

very true, on my disco 200 found it like that, and was afraid to undo it from above.. no worries then , it something common .. thought i was the only one.

another thing to check is the diaphram in the injection pump. take the squareish cap off to expose this, make sure you mark where it is before taking it out. if its spilt the pump wont fuel up as the boost increases.

did not understand which part is the above. can you elaborate more please??

thanks.

hmm how to explain this when i dont think i have a pic...

on the top of the injection pump there is a square(ish) housing held on with 4 screws. the smoke adjuster screw is in the center of it. there is also a pipe that goes to the waste gate running off it. the diaphram is under that cover. mark the posistion of the diaphram before you remove it though, as turning it affects the fueling curve.