Tyre pressures

Nigelw

Whilst chatting with friends about tyres tonight we ended up at the old favourite "what pressure do you run yours at?".

I run Cooper STT in 235/85 R16

On road, 30psi

Off road, 18-20psi

Got spme funny looks for that and then it sparked the hilarious debate about what is the optimum pressure for both on and off road without needing to adjust them constantly?

I think it's just laziness but settled for 25psi being inbetween my own pressure settings, what does anyone else think?

I like soft off road as I drive gently and want an increased footprint, the Coopers are a super stiff carcass!!! But they're not too hard on the road either, again I found the Coopers rather stiff, the rears are same as the fronts unless I am going to load it up or tow.

I read on an American 4x4 site where they said to draw a chalk line across the tyre tread - and go for a drive.. Then use the way it wears to tune your pressures.

That's what I was about to say..... if the line wears in the middle first you have too much pressure. Likewise, outside edges first means too little pressure.

I run my 315/75-16 Micky MTZ on 16x7 rims at 22psi on the road and about 12psi offroad. Onroad it rides and handles well, offroad it's an animal.

I reckon many people run way to high pressures on the road. Especially when they're still running bias ply tires like the cheap 7.50's which needs way less than a radial. Most of them wear out heaps in the middle. i had that happen to mine when I didn't knew better.

I'm thinking it varies so much due to tyre type and weight, that the race track method of measuring it with a laser temp probe thing is the way to go. They seem pretty accurate, the price has dropped a whack over the years and you don't have to get dirty :)

They measured left, middle and right. As well as pressure it said if the tyre needed to lean in or out more, but that's not really an issue on a beam axel.