im at my whitts end with my drum brakes

hi all I decided to change my drums and shoes on the back of my h reg 90 200tdi when I did I found they bound so bad I couldn't turn the wheel so I filed the edges off the shoes but still no good but a little better . I drove it until they were smoking .then I decided to change the brake pistons but still the same but now they had a judder so I brought bearmach drums but still they are tight I then changed the hubs and bearings but still the same has anybody had this problem ? and can anybody recommend brake shoes .can anybody tell me the exact size of the shoes for my 90 .P.S I want to keep it as it was made so I don't want to put discs on .

many thanks rich

Have you got the shoes on the right way round? The shoes look the same, but the pegs for the adjuster cams are in different positions for the front and rear shoes, so one shoe will always be slack and the other cannot be loosened enough.

Make of items do make a difference, I replaced my old shoes and drums for new from a cheaper supplier not blue box and had no end of problems with grabbing in reverse which I had never had in twenty seven years of ownership before!

Marc.

It's been eons since I had a car with drum brakes but before you fitted them did you sit the shoes inside the drums and check that the radius of the shoes exactly matched the drums? I have known them to be ill fitting and that's a sad story as you would need to get the shoes machined to suit the drums.

I would recommend Bearmach parts, as I have used them without problems for years. Not sure why there's a need for machining the shoes, as this would be likely more expensive than the shoes themselves :) The only time it would be a wheel cylinder problem is if one of the pistons was siezed. The most common reason for drum brake problems is incorrect fitting of the shoes or the retaining springs. If the lower retaining spring is fitted on the outside of the shoes, then it pulls them both off of the pegs, but also outwards, which causes them to bind on the drum.

Les

yes I did theres only one on my 90 . when I spoke to mm's they said the shoes were for worn drums not new ones . sounds like they were fobbing me off so not wanting to kick up a stink in the shop I left it at that . iv now ordered Delphi shoes so fingers crossed I can get it sorted by the weekend fingers crossed .ill let you know

yes I did theres only one on my 90 . when I spoke to mm's they said the shoes were for worn drums not new ones . sounds like they were fobbing me off so not wanting to kick up a stink in the shop I left it at that . iv now ordered Delphi shoes so fingers crossed I can get it sorted by the weekend fingers crossed .ill let you know

It's horse*** - if the drums are so worn as to make standard shoes useless, then the drums need replacing! Besides which, did you specifically order oversize shoes? Mmmm, thought not! So, either way, they have sent parts "unfit for purpose" - that's a specific phrase you want to use in the phone call: it's a legal expression that means that they absolutely have to replace them or refund you, and it should be done at their expense (you shouldn't have to pay carriage costs).

In my experience, only Gen Parts and Mintex shoes are worth fitting.