How much winch rope on a lowline drum?

Mr Noisy

Hey chaps

So its time for me again to call on those who are older and wiser than i am :D

I recently snapped my winch rope, so it is time for replacement.

It was a budget 11mm that had served a good few years very well, so theres no particular complaint.

It got jammed in a pulley block which damaged it, and shortly after it had let go.

It was 11mm and if you didnt wrap it onto the drum under load, the drum was pretty much brimmed.

This is a regular lowline drum, 9" long, 6" across, 2.5" core.

I have been speaking with Andy @ Ruftraks regards some plasma line, i was wondering about upgrading my line quality and thus being able to go thinner, and thus having room to go longer, up to 125ft from my original 100.

I was wondering however if, at 9.5mm rope, 150ft would fit on the drum.

I guess not, but wondered if anyone had any experience or opinions of any of the above.

Im all ears, many thanks in advance :D

How is 9.5mm up grading rope strength is directly proportional to diameter. Granted different manufacturers have different breaking strains but at best your only going to equal assuming the new rope is actually a stronger brand more likely you'll be down grading. Personally I've always run 30m (100ft ish) of 11mm (i wouldn't run anything smaller) on a low line and as you say that's about all you can get on even at 9.5mm I think you'll struggle to get 125ft on.

Mike

Hi guys

Thanks for that

Was working on that basis that 11mm is WAY over spec for my 9500lb winch

Andy said 9.5mm plasma breaks at 17000lb and that 8mm would be quite sufficient but going to 9.5mm would give extra safety to allow for chafing and damage etc as the rope gets used hard.

But I do think 11mm is overkill if I'm honest, I mean we discussed 100ft @ 9.5 being good to reduce bunching and keep the rope closer to the centre of the drum, but the fact of having more line can be beneficial when you need that long pull

I actually only just bought a 50ft extension line for the just in case moment but that doesn't mean more line on the drum wouldn't be of use, just not so sure it'll fit :D

I've snapped an 11mm plasma with a single line pull on a warn m8000 so I'm not convinced 11mm is overkill.

Mike

I did as well, but only because it was damaged, no? It wasn't even close to the limit until it was weakened.

What happens when you double the line with a pulley block and then operate the winch at max power - 9500lbs

Nothing. Doubling the effort through a pulley block gives you twice the pull at the load, but you're sharing it over two pieces of rope,miso they only see the max 9500lbs each

I might wait a week or so and have a chat with david bowyer at the show, see if he knows how much I could squeeze onto a drum

I just don't want to miss an opportunity to have as much rope spooled on as I can

It's not a competition vehicle so the winch tends to get used when we're in the **** and as the Welsh hillside taught me the other day when the rope snapped, anchor points can be few and far between!

I wouldn't bother with 9.5

Go with 11mm. We run 125ft on ours, it's very rare that we use all of it. If we need to, we just add an extension.

If you got for a 150 ft, what will happen is you'll bugger up each end (once you've swapped ends around) and then have a waste of line left in the middle.

We swap ends most events.

G

Don't forget, if you load more rope on there, you have to unload more in order to get the full pulling strength. Don't know the exact details, but a half-full winch isn't going to pull the same as one with just a few coils round.

I did the entire RFC on 1 9.5 mm plasma rope, with a PTO winch. 10 days of hard off road and stupid hard winching more times than I care to remember, We cleaned and re spooled the winch rope every evening to make it last; The life of your rope is very much depending on this, and things like abrasion on rocks, past trees, double lining over a shackle are all going to reduce the life of your rope to hours.

We now run 11mm, as the speed of our winch has increased by a factor 4 and we went from a roller fairlead to a hawse style fairlead. This has reduced life of the cable unfortunately. But I would happily use 100 ft of 9.5 mm on a 9.5k low line. In fact, I still run it on our rear ep9. Plasma rope rules in my opinion.

I always buy 2 ropes, one as an extension with a loop spliced in the end, which also is a spare. For Russia we used winch webbing as extension, this is very compact to store. We had 3 x 190 foot and 2x 95 foot of extension. The lengths are based on 100 ft (as is on the winch) -5 ft, so you can pick over to the next extension with a few wraps round the winch drum.

Daan

Don't forget, if you load more rope on there, you have to unload more in order to get the full pulling strength. Don't know the exact details, but a half-full winch isn't going to pull the same as one with just a few coils round.

this is a major consideration, but going thinner somewhat cancels out going longer!

Sam, we've got bigger ends on our winches which helps but you can fit 125 on something like a tds - however you do need to spool it on carefully.

thanks gordon, i think on that basis i will only consider 125ft @ 9.5mm

I did the entire RFC on 1 9.5 mm plasma rope, with a PTO winch. 10 days of hard off road and stupid hard winching more times than I care to remember, We cleaned and re spooled the winch rope every evening to make it last; The life of your rope is very much depending on this, and things like abrasion on rocks, past trees, double lining over a shackle are all going to reduce the life of your rope to hours.

We now run 11mm, as the speed of our winch has increased by a factor 4 and we went from a roller fairlead to a hawse style fairlead. This has reduced life of the cable unfortunately. But I would happily use 100 ft of 9.5 mm on a 9.5k low line. In fact, I still run it on our rear ep9. Plasma rope rules in my opinion.

I always buy 2 ropes, one as an extension with a loop spliced in the end, which also is a spare. For Russia we used winch webbing as extension, this is very compact to store. We had 3 x 190 foot and 2x 95 foot of extension. The lengths are based on 100 ft (as is on the winch) -5 ft, so you can pick over to the next extension with a few wraps round the winch drum.

Daan

thanks for that great reply daan

good to hear that you rate 9.5mm, and particularly plasma at that

i think if i do choose a 125ft option i will see how it fares on the drum, if it gets too tight i'll just have to shorten it and learn the hard way

i treat my rope with respect, it gets a good wash out after every day of use, and do try to avoid abrasion where possible, but of course its not always that easy :P

im trying to figure out your -5ft theory, sounds very clever but i cant quite grasp the thinking, would love to hear more on that

190ft extension btw?!?!?! awesome :D

Also bear in mind that you can put a new rope of 125 foot of 9.5 mm on your winch quite easily, but this stuff grows in diameter over time. it probably measures 15 mm by the time you are finished with it. the 100ft of 9.5 bunches a lot on my ep9.

The shorter extension is keeping in mind that you need 3 rolls or more around the drum, 1 roll takes just under a foot plus you loose a foot for splicing the end. so if you have 100 ft of cable, you only have 96 ft of rope out of the winch. Hence, if you are in a swamp, and need to winch a long way, you pick over to the next 95 ft, which you can just reach. If you have a swamp that's 2 mile long, better hope there is a tree nearby, as with all the extensions, the spare rope and rope from the rear winch we had 950 ft in total. We never needed that much though.

Daan

It's a champion 9.5HS so it's nothing special nor sizeable.

And yes I was going to say I'm sure my 11mm is like a sausage now, especially when not under load!

And yes I get it now, your extensions are just shorter than multiples of your winch rope and/or shorter extensions

Very clever :)

It basically boils down to

150+vat for 100ft plasma 9.5

180+vat for 125ft plasma 9.5

130+vat for 100ft budget 11mm

100+vat for 100ft budget 10mm

Cannot decide :(

If you have a TDS, you can space it up by 20mm to get the extra rope one, as the tie bars are quite widely spaced on them.

You haven't said what winch it is you have (I think) .....?

Sorry, i should have said that before. I've raised my tds and tie bars.

Thankyou daan

Another option has just come into the mix, 100ft 11mm budget, but price isn't yet confirmed

As the price does have a bearing on it for me at the moment :(

The option you should go for is 100ft 11mm bowrope :)

G