More power captain " I'm given yeh ah she's got "

Aussie80inch

Until I do the 200tdi engine swap in my 80 inch I want to squeeze a wee bit more power from the old 2.25 diesel motor. Background on the motor is it was recondition 20ks ago, piston and rings, bearing , head reco etc etc.

Has anyone done LPG to there 2.25D apparently it gives you more power but not the strain of a turbo

Here's what I was thinking in the interim ( 200tdi swap )

Extractors and a good 2 -3/4 inch free flow exhaust

Maybe gas flow the head

Tweak the fuel pump along with checking the injectors

Swapping to a high end synthetic oil

LPG fluff system to the air intake

All and any help is always appreciated

That's a lot of work and expense for a short term engine. Propane injection works well on HGVs, but it needs careful metering, and the increased torque will still strain the crank - I wouldn't do it on a 3mb crank engine. Frankly, though, you're better off spending the money on a Tdi, which will give better performance, fuel economy and (assuming you refurbish it to the same standard as the 2.25) better reliability. Just don't use 3.54 diffs and overdrive together, how ever tempting it may seem.

Until I do the 200tdi engine swap in my 80 inch I want to squeeze a wee bit more power from the old 2.25 diesel motor. Background on the motor is it was recondition 20ks ago, piston and rings, bearing , head reco etc etc.

Has anyone done LPG to there 2.25D apparently it gives you more power but not the strain of a turbo

Here's what I was thinking in the interim ( 200tdi swap )

Extractors and a good 2 -3/4 inch free flow exhaust

Maybe gas flow the head

Tweak the fuel pump along with checking the injectors

Swapping to a high end synthetic oil

LPG fluff system to the air intake

All and any help is always appreciated

If you have the money and the time, go for it. But then if you have the money and the time, why wait on the Tdi swap?

Personally I think you'll see such a small gain that it just won't be worth it. Ok it might pep it up, but even if you gained 10hp, you still have an engine that is woefully underpowered. Which I suspect after a few miles will feel like you did almost nothing to it and you'd still be wanting more.

That said, if you mod the exhaust now, you could make it so it's useful for the Tdi swap.

LPG I'm sure will give you something, but like I say, I think the total gains and your total HP will still be too low.

Thin modern oil is more likely to leak from these old engines. I'd stick with the thick mineral stuff myself.

If you are running a factory rod throttle linkage, you may want to fettle with that or convert to cable. Many stock diesel Series never actually saw wide open throttle (even if the pedal moved to the floor), due to the slop and setup of the rod linkages. Quite easy to get full pedal travel, but say only 80% throttle at the engine.

I hope you don't mind me chipping in, but this is a question for Snagger based on his comment; would you mind expanding on what you meant by

Just don't use 3.54 diffs and overdrive together, how ever tempting it may seem.

Is this because the overdrive would see too much torque?

Nick and I have have very different views on it. I have OD and 3.54 diffs in my 88 no problems at all, I find the gearing to be perfect with 3rd+OD giving me an excellent 30mph in town. We've settled on the fact that's mines an 88 and half a ton lighter than his 109. He's looking for some 4.1 diffs

Ah OK, I wasn't sure if it was a kind of accepted fact that it's bad practice, so it's a relief to hear that I haven't been breaking such a rule having 3.54 diffs and OD myself, although similar to you, mines an 88'' truck cab, so about as light as you'll get.