Nylon winch thingy ?

Anderzander

That's the video, the plasma came in 30mtr lengths but only needed 15mtrs on the winch, did 2 out of a pack, got one left to do but it only had a new winch 3 months ago. The splicing went easier than I first thought it would.

Neat, but I like to snare mine. I splice a loop a foot long in the end, put it through the fairlead, around the drum and back out, feed the hook through the loop and pull tight. Then we know that whatever daft stuff goes on the rope is around the drum, and it's a lot easier to remove for cleaning :)

Neat, but I like to snare mine. I splice a loop a foot long in the end, put it through the fairlead, around the drum and back out, feed the hook through the loop and pull tight. Then we know that whatever daft stuff goes on the rope is around the drum, and it's a lot easier to remove for cleaning :)

Dont quite get that, do you have a pic or a diagram?

Unless its a lasso that has 5 turns trapped inside it. but doesnt that put a lump in the spool?

I guess it shouldnt slip as there should be no load on the conventional end screw when theres enough turns on the drum.

Like this?

NewBitmapImage_zps2d0734bd.png

I tried David B's way with the string, where you fed the rope through itself and tape to the drum. It held really well, but it was hell to remove to clean, so I tried snaring the drum. To take if off just I had to bash it a little with a hammer stale to loosen the loop, which shows that when it grips it is really on there.

The mile marker has no fixings so a nut is welded on as a lump to get it started. On the kingone tds and the kingone hydraulic I put a bit of rounded off bar in the rope hole. Once it has 'bitten' you take it down to three wraps without worry. I used to get it started with a wrap of soft rubber.

I have a TDS and was wondering what to do with it - it's an old rope though so somewhat misshapen, which I think would make it a nightmare to try and splice .... Given that I haven't done it before.

My plan was to just tuck the end In the rope hole and use one of these nylon things to retain it.

Seems to be. You have to get it the right way on the drum. One way it tightens and the other way it spins. We only ran the string and tape for two seasons, started in 2007, so it must have done five seasons on two winches. Infact, the rear has never seen anything else but a single wrap snare. You could try two though.

I had considered silicon rtv on the drum, with a wiggley line left to dry, as a gripper.