Windscreen Brackets

That's a very good point that I forgot about. I did that to mine as well as every ss bolt ive used in order to try and prevent galvanic corrosion.

Stainless actually increases the amount of galvanic corrosion - zinc ( preferably in either galvanized or sherardized form) is the best for Landrover based applications ie mild steel & aluminium materials. SS is okay as long as its smothered in Duralac (or better) or has a physical barrier.

http://www.preservationscience.com/materials/metals/PGC.html

Stainless actually increases the amount of galvanic corrosion...

Which is exactly why I made the point of covering each bolt with ptfe tape. Also used rubber washers where ss washers would be up against ally.. ;)

Digressing a bit from op mind you.

Don't worry about digression - it's all helpful.

I do wonder about the stainless issue. As a result of having only a partial understanding I can't work out why some people I've known rebuilt with stainless fasteners years ago and have had no sign of galvanic corrosion since ?

Is it because of a good seal and an absence of an electrolyte ? Or is it something to do with the cathodic metal being the fastener with the smaller surface area ?

If stainless touches ally it WILL promote fast galvanic corrosion. Stainless fasteners are great (for non high-tensile applications) but they MUST be separated from ally. Otherwise the ally will practically turn to powder before your very eyes. As long as you make sure that the shank of any bolt/screw is covered in ptfe you will be fine. Same with washers. If you isolate the stainless washer from the ally by using a rubber washer as a kind of gasket between the 2 different metals you will be golden..