What life expectancy from a recon gearbox....

reb78

This seems fairly typical for rebuilt transmissions, the three I've seen from a major uk supplier have lasted 2 weeks, 3 months and 4 years (but with teeth coming out every oil change from 1 year).

Reading an FAQ on Paddocks website of all places and there was this question and answer:

My 200 tdi Discovery is very difficult to change gear from 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 2nd. Why?

A common fault with these boxes is a thrust washer in the 1 – 2 synchro assembly splitting in half and blocking movement. Rebuild the gearbox and replace both thrust washers in the 1 – 2 assembly.

The downchange from 3rd to 2nd sounds like my problem.

What do folks think the quality of these is likely to be:

http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/related/77937/Rover_LT77_Gearbox.htm

They are likely to be early prefix boxes i would imagine, but i could enquire if people thought they would be reconditioned to a decent standard. I imagine they would be if they were for the MOD? I could take my own box apart, but i haven't done a gearbox before.

Just as an aside. I know a man who has all the bearings in stock for an R380 and an LT77

A certain company who re-build gearboxes put in an order from a wholesaler but the wholesaler bought in Spanish made bearings - too expensive due to high quality; so Chinese 'made to a price' were used instead. The man I know bought the original order... Good supplier

What do folks think the quality of these is likely to be:

http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/related/77937/Rover_LT77_Gearbox.htm

They are likely to be early prefix boxes i would imagine, but i could enquire if people thought they would be reconditioned to a decent standard. I imagine they would be if they were for the MOD? I could take my own box apart, but i haven't done a gearbox before.

Just for info - i enquired about these boxes. The reply was not helpful. No idea what they are from, what they fit (they do look like land rover units and are probably from them but would be good to have it confirmed), what the box suffixes are likely to be or what the gear ratios may be (i can excuse the latter). Basically, if you want them, come and look at them and then bid. not helpful in the slightest really.

Just as an aside. I know a man who has all the bearings in stock for an R380 and an LT77

A certain company who re-build gearboxes put in an order from a wholesaler but the wholesaler bought in Spanish made bearings - too expensive due to high quality; so Chinese 'made to a price' were used instead. The man I know bought the original order... Good supplier

Could you PM me their details? I havent decided what to do yet, but if i take the box apart, it would be good to know where to purchase decent bearings.

I'm VERY wary of buying anything like that which says 'reconditioned' or 'rebuilt'. If ANYTHING goes wrong with it, you stuffed. At least with an Ashcroft or similar box you've got a 12 month guarantee and some comeback. With anything ex-MOD, yes it's probably good, but it only takes one little slip at rebuild to bugger a box, then you've £500 down from buying it and a bill for it's repair - potentially the same

I've got a R380 stumpy from Ashcrofts on my 90 and I fitted it with an oil cooler(ok-yes even though I live in the Uk, as I do-do some towing and sometimes don't hang about when I'm driving), after spending the thick end of £1200.00 I want as much protection that I can get, I've change the oil every 6 months and it's been as good as gold, I've had it on my truck since 2013 and done about 15-20k miles since then,

The oil cooler is the standard thermostatic block from land rover that fit's onto late LT77's and all R380 boxes, I've fitted it to a 13 row 235mm long-unbranded oil cooler in a vertical position with 1/2" hydraulic swaged pipework run up to the front and it sits next to my full width intercooler, I've also fitted an "oil cooler" from rocky mountain spares to my transfer box as I replaced that at the same time as my main gearbox, Since I've fitted both of these to my truck I've noticed a drop in the engine temperature(on the gauge) and a much cooler cab area too

John

Funnily enough... I bought a slick shift kit from Shabs a few weeks ago. Fitted it and initially didn't get on with it. Send him a note and he was quick and helpful with the response which told me how important it was to set the balance up.. Now, I think its great.

I had a weird noise from the LT77 last week and thought it may be on the way out so hauled a spare one from the weeds to see if it was fit. (Its not). I've looked at a couple of sites who say they are using OEM or "known" bearings but based on the last post above, I had a look at the link to find that indeed, Shabs sells all of the other bits too. Based on the help and quality of the slick shift kit, he will be getting my business for a rebuild kit for the LT230 and if I can pluck up the courage, the LT77 too. (Needs a new main shaft etc).