wastegate troubles.

Nigelw

Had this a while back, over a year ago for sure, but the wastegate spindle seems to be seized solid, performance seemed a bit lacklustre these last few weeks but put it down to barely being driven apart from groceries but a bit of a fettle with plumbing in the boost gauge to see whats going on showed almost nothing happening at all.

done the usual, liberal dousing in wd40 slow steady applications of man sized pressure and zip all happening.

whats next?

This happened on my TD5: depending on whether the wastegate stuck open or closed, it gave an engine which was spectacularly lethargic at all times, or went like the clappers until the MAP-sensor detected prolonged overboost and switched to limp-home fuelling (when it became lethargic again).

The answer is to disconnect the pressure-actuator rod from the balljoint on the wastegate-actuator arm, and give the actuator arm a good wiggle, or a tap with a hammer to free it off.

Don't use any lubricant - if you do, the copious amounts of heat from the exhaust will carbonise the lubricant and make the thing even more sticky! It's designed to operate as a 'dry' bearing.

Good question Richard, if I can free it up this time then perhaps get it reconditioned locally, it could probably benefit from new seals, might slow up the oil consumption anyhow?

Still bathing in WD40 for now, gonna pop the clip and actuator arm off and give it a wriggle again tonight after work.

Took me the best part of a day to free up the wastegate with the manifold on a bench, used a mix of diesel thinned down with petrol to get it to start moving, then moved on to a thin 3 in 1 type oil. Once it was free (still got the blisters) I used a molybdenum based oil mix (actually Molyslip and 20w40 mix) to lubricate it. However 6 months on it's starting to seize again.

Does anyone know how it all comes apart before I immobilize myself removing the turbo?

It is not shifting one bit at the mo, guessing I ought to pull the turbo an try it on the bench as trying with reasonable force feels more like I am going to shear the arm off the spindle :o now that would be a slight disaster!

Was wondering whether complete removal was an option and just run fully charged all the time?

Current options, used turbo of unknown origins and condition off Marktplaats €225. Try and get it rebuilt but at an unknown cost with this problem, or pop the elbow off and try and close the flap up a bit to give some boost?

Any other ideas?

What about a secondhand, even scrap one and transfer the waste gate portion over? Not got one in front of me, so I don't know of it's possible, but it'd allow you to keep the known good bits of yours?

250 euro sounds a lot. I'm sure secondhand disco turbos can be found for around £50 over here? Worth a search if you haven't already maybe?

Well, good and bad news!

Good news, I no longer have a seized wastegate lever.

Bad news, pictures paint a thousand words.

20150612_130115_zps3zfpxdph.jpg

The phrase "Oh, DoublePlusUpBuggerage!" comes to mind, followed by an in-depth conversation with your credit-card.

What about a secondhand, even scrap one and transfer the waste gate portion over? Not got one in front of me, so I don't know of it's possible, but it'd allow you to keep the known good bits of yours?

250 euro sounds a lot. I'm sure secondhand disco turbos can be found for around £50 over here? Worth a search if you haven't already maybe?

On the bay they are trading at around £50/£75, but silly money for S/H stuff here, was thinking to suffer the asthmatic drive until Wednesday and pop it off and see if I could work some bush magic with my welder and some spare hardox round bar I have under the bench, maybe even turn it down a couple thou to stop it happening again?

I was how ever distracted by a couple of threads bleating on about VNTs, got a breakers local who get a lot of Sprinters in, thinking cash is king and maybe a couple €50s in my pocket could yield an interesting project?

Drove to Albert Heign today for groceries, by golly is it even more noticeable the lack of power :(

I would be pulling it part and replacing the existing broken shaft with something like 302 Stainless Steel. It shouldn't be too hard - other than machining the new shaft.

I would look at filing out the existing lever to a square and having the end of the shaft also square - to fit inside the square of the lever - and drilled and tapped at the end to take a retaining bolt.

Just remember to take ALL those rags out when you put it back together, and yes I forgot one...didn't do any harm luckily.

Only harm done was to my bank balance Dunc as this is now case closed with the shiney new one :D