What is the roof of the disco 1 300 tdi made of

antonioleonardo

Henry Webster, it was on sale EBay - Australia - and the time taken in removing the original by drilling out all the spot welds, then tig welding them up back to flat metal and very carefully spot welding on the alloy replacement really didn't warrant the cost, the time it took and the final reduction in weight, but we all learn from our errors :blush: I thought that being Alloy it would be a lot lighter, but it is the same gauge as the bonnet and wings and therefore twice as thick as the original steel roof and therefore not much lighter.

I've been seriously looking at the original and thinking of using it as a mould for a Kevlar roof, now that would be something and a lot lighter and it would be formed up without the silly Alpine Windows

Thanks Boydie, sounds like a good find, can't imagine why anyone thought it would be worth the effort to build an alloy roof.

Ross, you're right, 5kg is certainly not to be sniffed at when it is up that high!

Bowie69, RRC is not really suitable for me as I want/need to keep it looking standard.

Henry, the guy I got it off -- an Italian who was a panel beater by trade - hand formed it from a flat alloy plate -- Duralloy (spelling?) I think, then he had his car wrecked so it was going very cheap.