Race to Dakar

missingsid

Just watching the highly amusing program.

The star of the show Charley is doing a peice to camera about the support BMW which has broken down with a broken wishbone 150 miles away......

except....

unless I am losing my mind :unsure: .......

look there it is :blink: in the campsite right in front of the camera :huh: ????

Just in case I checked the website and they have 1 BMW X5 and 1 MAN 6x6 for support so it must be a mirage!

Also of note is that I could see no sign of any mention of a certain orange company on the website, no logo or comment about the X5?

The real shame is that we do not get to see the Bowlers in action.

yeah i watched that and decided that it was a picture of when the wishbone broke again a few hundred miles later.

gotta love that scarpiron stuff.

do you get the feeling they were in a little over their heads?

get my DVD today in the post can't wait to sit down and watch it :rolleyes:

Anyone ever seen those bumper sticker depicting the Devil with a pitchfork with a 'Christian' fish spiked on the end?

How about a series of stickers in the same vain with a certain insect with a sting in it's tail on top of said pointy object? :ph34r:

I wonder of there would be much of a market :rolleyes:

No, looked like an original BMW one - some cast material, perhaps ali.

Chris

Looking at the photos on Scorpion's site they do look original but with bash plates on the bottom (sensible) so it seems like this wasn't their fault. Lets face it, the X5 isn't really designed for lots of driving on rough tracks....

Guest dew110CSW

It's funny, they've had to spend god knows how much taking the X5 to that standard, a Disco or Defender could do it without half the money spent on it, and to a far higher standard.

It's funny, they've had to spend god knows how much taking the X5 to that standard, a Disco or Defender could do it without half the money spent on it, and to a far higher standard.

Erm

That will be why Land Rover used Bowlers for their team then?

Erm

That will be why Land Rover used Bowlers for their team then?

I think that the suggestion was that a Landrover might have been a better choice than a BMW as a support vehicle. That it could have fulfilled the role in standard trim - albeit with a roll cage and fire extinguisher. What do LR run as a support vehicle - other than a truck? I bet it is not a bimmer!

Chris

Guest dew110CSW
I think that the suggestion was that a Landrover might have been a better choice than a BMW as a support vehicle.

Indeed it was, I remember watching the first one when it showed the Orange Company doing it, and the little things they were having to modify that a Landie had as standard... and a TD5 Disco has basically a Bimmer engine in it anyway.

I suspect it was part of deal - as BMW supplied the bikes - it was either the X5 - or a 3-series estate :lol:

When the wishbone on the X5 broke the first time - was it just the shock mounting that was ripped off ?

If so - stop being soft and just drive it !!

I suspect it was part of deal - as BMW supplied the bikes - it was either the X5 - or a 3-series estate :lol:

When the wishbone on the X5 broke the first time - was it just the shock mounting that was ripped off ?

If so - stop being soft and just drive it !!

Nah, looked properly broken... I did not get a proper look at it but IMHO, something coulod have been fabbed up out of a high lift jack rack to get it rolling again. :) The jack would have been a write off though.

I wondered about BMW sponsorship but for some reason I thought the X5 was second hand...

Chris