Wheel width for 35/12.5 x 16 tyres?

I've posted this in the international forum as although they will be on a 90 its relevant to all models!

What width rim would people recommend for a 12.5" wide tyre? If it makes any difference, I'm looking at the Maxxis trepadors, in the standard compound. Maybe 37s depending on what they measure up at.

I should add that I can't find the recommended width from maxxis at the moment.#

Thanks in advance people.

Thing is, it's not about how they look. A few folk over on D4x4 reported that when airing down for off-road use, 12.5" tyres had a habit of being torn off 8" rims. Whereas with the 10" rims there were no problems..

Edit: What are your plans regarding arches Ross?

Thing is, it's not about how they look. A few folk over on D4x4 reported that when airing down for off-road use, 12.5" tyres had a habit of being torn off 8" rims. Whereas with the 10" rims there were no problems..

Funny you say that as I don't have any issues with mine, nor does a mate with his 13.50" wide Boggers on 8" rims, and our land rovers are used regularly off road.

Also whilst out on Sunday we ended up putting two tyres back on rims for a couple of other lads who had 10" rims, I don't think either of them had 12.50 tyres though.

I do think with most things in life, if it looks right, it is right

I'd be interested in reading those threads need4speed if you have any links :)

If you could find them it would be interesting reading. I've only ever heard of them coming off the wider wheels where they're not held to the bead as much.

Arches I haven't planned yet... Standard arches are unlikely to work for me but I'll use them if I can. If I can't I'll probably be using the bendy plastic ones which are an L shape. My mind has gone blank on the company name!

4x4goods uni arch?

My experience running lowered pressure off-road is a middle of the recommended width range or narrower will stay on better . The depth of the tubeless ridge makes a difference too

cheers

Steveb

Same here

For Ladoga I ran a 35x13.5x15 maxis mudzilla on 8.5 john sales double beadlocks. They started life as 10X15 rims, but I asked john to take out 1.5" while doing the beadlock conversion. Main reason was to get a 15" wheel inboard as far as possible to save steering boxes and TRE's. Brilliant tyre in swamps BTW. I would worry more about offset than width myself. as mentioned, if you dont use beadlocks, go as narrow as sensible.

Daan

Here's some pics. 35/12.5/16 on 8" Mach 5 Beadlocks. Sorry about the state of the vehicle it was long overdue a rebuild last month when the pics were taken and it's now being rebuilt. Hope this helps. Although I'm torn between wanting the 37" trepadors now. But having a full body and knowing that I would be on the limitations of LR axles is something that would bother. I'm still very pleased with this wheel and tyre combo. Much nicer on the road than the previous Simex and they are better offroad in general but a lot more twitchy on side slopes, purely down to the width. I think 37/10.5/16 trepadors would be a good if they ever make some!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Isn't there a potential legal issue if you plan to use it on the road. I'm sure I've read if you fit a tyre to a non suitable rim (i.e. not with the tyres makers specs), then it could compromise you with an insurance claim, should you be in an accident and should it be noticed. Although I admit it's probably unlikely that someone would spot it.

It's actually an interesting point. I'm sure lots of folk will come up with 101 reasons why it's perfectly legal but insurance companies will look for any get-out possible.

It's the same as tyre puncture repairs. The manufacturers of tyre plugs will not guarantee them above the national legal limit. In other words, if you have any plugs/repairs on any of your tyres and you happen to have an accident while breaking the speed limit... It's not going to end well.

I used to run my own motorcycle tyre business. Whenever I had guys coming in to repair punctures I would say yes no problem, but be aware should something happen while your going over 70 (which lets be honest, when a bike can do over 70 in 1st it's a fair bet) your insurance will wipe their hands..

It changes the look of the wheel though Lewis which I don't want. To whole reason of going to the trouble of having them banded.

If I end up needing/wanting beadlocks it will have to be stauns.

Wolfs are going to change the look; band some defender wheels instead!