Thermostat for electric fan

Dan110

I wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of where to get a thermostat to poke into the radiator hose for an electric fan. Hours of googling hasn't turned anything up - i'm probably just using a slightly wrong term to describe it.

Otherwise, a compelling argument for spending £40 on the very nice x-eng solution might do! ;)

Cheers

There really aren't many solutions unless you fabricate the tube yourself. The thermostat bit has an M22x1.5 thread (Intermotor part 50091) which you can get from any Motor Factor. However, it will likely cost you about £20.

You could use thermal adhesive (available from RS) to glue the thermostat to your radiator header tank I guess.

Si

It has to be reliable, and being neat is a bonus to avoid wires getting caught in the fan. While at face value the X Switch may appear expensive, if you consider the time it would take you to fabricate your own, and the cost of the materials, you'll see it's actually very cost effective. Don't skimp on parts that should save your engine from overheating; the costs of trying to be cheap will likely be very high.

Thanks both, advice noted.

I'll likely end up going for that then. The one I had in mind was one I used to have...I think it came with a kenlow and just popped into the hose at the joint on the end of a wire. Is the consensus against them, on the whole?

You can buy the same Thermostats Kenlowe use - as a Thermostat for a Belling Tea Urn! They are half the price and the only difference is a bit of printed plastic saying Kenlowe instead of Belling.

However, IMHO they are best suited to a tea urn - not so much a vehicle.

Si

post-108175-0-13251500-1439213603_thumb.jpg

I use these. Gets pretty hot where I am so cooling is always an issue. There is two types, thermo contact and thermo resistor..you want this type, contact, resistor is for guages. They simply bolt onto the head/block and are rated about 82/85..thermostat temp. The part number is on the box. You can be really smart and use a lazer temp gauge to find the hottest spot..but I just bolt em on the head somewhere so they touch the jacket...

I never understand peoples' urge to fit electric fans except where engine driven doesn't fit (like after engine retrofits) - the engine driven fan is always the better option. I had to use electric on my 109 because a Discovery 200Tdi engine fan is too low and fouls the chassis. Anyway, the reliable budget option of: a) a new Kenlowe fan with its boiler thermostat, or b) a second hand fan from a scrappy with an X Fan is option b. There is nothing wrong with the Kenlowe fan itself, but the controller is carp. But a second hand big fan from a large car or van is ideal and little less effective than a premium fan.

I've been using a Kenlowe with assoc. sender for over 30 years on mt S1 V8 with never a brew up.

Been waiting for a reason to go X Eng but it never came up.

Don't have room for a engine fan but can't see any good reason to! My fan is in front of the rad and never threw water on to the dizzy ss a normal fan would!

Marc

attachicon.gif20150810_152617.jpg

I use these. Gets pretty hot where I am so cooling is always an issue. There is two types, thermo contact and thermo resistor..you want this type, contact, resistor is for guages. They simply bolt onto the head/block and are rated about 82/85..thermostat temp. The part number is on the box. You can be really smart and use a lazer temp gauge to find the hottest spot..but I just bolt em on the head somewhere so they touch the jacket...

I'd have thought that would be too low, thermostat opening is at 82 deg IIRC. I would think the fan would be almost permanently on?