How to split an auto box from an engine?

This is more specifically about the details when splitting an OM606 from its gearbox, but I've never pulled an engine from an auto at all, so any information greatly received!

Whats the best way to go about splitting the two? LR specific information is also good for anyone looking back on it, and likely to have something similar on the mercedes lumps.

Anything I need be aware of when I pull them apart?

Yeah, the torque converter u bolts from the flex plate through an inspection hole, usually found opposite side of the engine from the starter motor

Other than that and the bell housing bolts theres nothing to it. It's making sure the torque concert or is seated properly into the gearbox during refitting that's the important bit otherwise your oil pump may not engage, although you probably won't be doing that ;)

In which case, when you pull the gearbox, have a strip of steel handy with a hole in same size as the bellhousing bolts. Remove the box making sure to keep the torque converter fully mated to the gearbox, when put on the floor, bend your piece of metal enough to keep pressure on the torque converter and bolt it to. Bellhousing hole. This stops the concert or falling out while in storage.

Big thing is to ensure you pull the box from the engine squarely back without letting it sag and so distort/damage the torque-converter-to-pump drive tangs.

Usual trick is to remove the housing-to-engine bolts and then screw into the block-face half a dozen lengths of stud or rod-with-the-end-threaded - then pull the transmission back. The lengths of stud/rod provide guidance to the torque-converter housing and stop it adopting unhealthy/damaging angles.

[ This approach is also good for splitting and refitting manual transmissions - it can make all the difference between things sliding together in seconds and an hour lying on your back in a pool of icy rainwater cursing copiously. Trust me on this! ]

Not sure on the Merc, but on Land Rovers there are access panels so you can just get to the flex plate bolts with a ratchet. Every V8 excluding the Bosch you can just take the inspection cover off the bellhousing, on the Bosch there are two rubber plugs in the sump that give you access to the bolts.

Just don't do what I did when I first split an auto from the engine, I managed to undo the ring gear bolts rather than the torque convertor!

A very LARGE puddle of ATF landed on the floor, doh :)

Contrary to popular internet belief though, I managed to get it back onto the box with it still in the car (after removing from engine) with just a few wiggles and turning it.... Ashcroft even say this is nigh on impossible, took me all of 30 seconds!

Yeah I've never had any problem refitting a TC after accidental removal . It is much better to keep it all together though , as said earlier once out bolt a tag to a bellhousing bolt hole to hold the TC in while its off the engine

cheers

Steveb

Yeah I've never had any problem refitting a TC after accidental removal . It is much better to keep it all together though , as said earlier once out bolt a tag to a bellhousing bolt hole to hold the TC in while its off the engine

cheers

Steveb

To refit the torque converter to the gearbox the best way I found was to have the gearbox with the bellhousing standing face up and to drop the converter down the shaft. There should be a few "jiggles" on the way down but you will know when it is seated properly.