Are my Springs back to front??

Looking at my terrafirma ones which were marked front/rear and "this way up" , the linear springs are on the front and the progressives are on the back with the tighter coils to the bottom. That's on a 90.

Doesn't that make the unsprung weight (marginally) heavier?

I use the progressive spring on the front of my 150's, we put the tighter coils at the top otherwise the coil breaks where it constantly touches the retainer plate at the axle side, after about 50k on our terrible roads the plate wears a notch in the coil and it cracks. With the progressive coils at the top they don't do this.

I had progressive rate on the front of the 90 when the husky was up front, I put the tighter coils up top as it made no difference to the rate, I think the unsprung weight is less and possibly most importantly it was about five million times easier to grip the shock when swapping bushes.

Well, I fitted them as marked. Can't seem to find anything amiss with its go-kart like handling (joking!). I agree with Mo though, the mainly constant weight on the front will suit a linear spring whereas varying load and suspension angles at the rear suit a progressive rate which allows the rear to settle prior to loading up on the spring.... I think.

It's a 90...not 911 lol

Is it worth emailing your spring manufacturer to see? Most places I've looked have the progressives on the rear with the tight coils uppermost (contrary to the orientation mine had marked on them). I suppose then you'll have a definitive answer for your particular make.