Swivel to axle bolts FTC3456 and FTC3454

Chris Davies

Hi, I'm replacing the swivel bolts as part of my front axle refurb. The parts book state 1 of ftc3454 (Dowel bolt) and 6 of ftc3456 (bolt swivel housing).

Looking at the ones that came out I can't see any obvious difference.

I would just order what it suggests but I like to get my bits from LRdirect at the moment because they offer a choice of makes and they don't list ftc3454.

Anyone know what the dowel bolt ftc3454 is/does

Cheers

Chris

Craddocks translate FTC3454 to UYG 500040 Follow the link and you will see the description references the standard bolt as UYG 500050. These numbers may help you find stock with your favoured supplier.

Re your general question; a dowel bolt is one where the unthreaded shank is slightly larger in diameter than the same area on a standard bolt. The reason is to make it a snug fit in the swivel, the snug fit inhibits the swivel from moving under load. It should be understood that such movement can, over time, loosen the fixings.

Not everyone bothers with the dowel bolts, as you have found. Your choice.

HTH.

I've never seen/noticed a different bolt on the swivels I've replaced on both early and late axles. Could be someone prior has replaced all bolts but I agree with James/Mav and Ross, can't see how the swivel could rotate on its axis and affect castor as all the holes are a tight fit.

• 2 weeks later...

As a matter of curiosity, did the different types come in different sealed bags, each with a suppliers printed label, which will have different part numbers as part of the label?

I have found in the past, from a seller who offers the options of 'genuine' or 'pattern', that the parts come in separate bags, but of their choosing, and either unlabelled or with a handwritten number on the bag itself. With small items, like bolts, that are supplied by Land Rover in packs of 5 or 10, unless you order a 'pack' you never see the LR labelling.

I have also suspected that having ordered 'genuine' I've been supplied with pattern parts, either by a mistake in the picking, or because the 'genuine' were out of stock. Naturally (to a cynical mind) there is no mention of any deliberate substitution, or a refund.

Once or twice I've ordered the same part in both styles, just to judge the difference. Sometimes it's obvious, even when the packets are unlabelled, but this self-checking can turn out to be an expensive pastime.

Bottom line, I'm inclined to believe it's a Genuine Land Rover part if it comes in a sealed Land Rover bag or box, with printed labelling to match.

If it just says 'genuine' on the invoice or packing list, or in the advert or web site description, my inclination to believe is less strong.

Perhaps others have more faith, or more luck, with their suppliers :-)

Regards.