caliper rebuild kits

davie

So recently in last week or so i noticed front driver wheel had an awful lot of brake dust on it, like huge amounts, so today i got wheel off, pads out and pumped brake pedal a bit to bring pistons out.

hoping i could clean up with brake cleaner and then grease etc to make slide nice - cue some swear words!!

outside set moved in and out ok, inside set took a lot to pump out a lil, then wouldnt retract!

Got garage to pop in new pistons and seals in a hurry as i need car in morning.

so my question is whats recommended kit for seals and pistons to rebuild the rest - can anyone point me in right direction please.

Garage also used a red grease called rubberlube in rebuild before sticking in pistons, dont want to buy a huge tub of this - any ideas on other solutions or a small tin that wont break bank.

i did try a google search and the amount of options was huge so looking for ways to narrow down.

2003 td5 defender csw so vented on front, solid on rear.

thanks

Davie,

I've rebuilt quite a few and also made a tool for fitting the seal retainers out of a poly waste pipe crossover.. (Rough as rats but did the job). To be honest, when you price up the cost of new stainless callipers, and good quality seal kits, you are only a few pounds shy of the cost of replacement callipers from the likes of LRDirect. (The part number below probably isn't correct, I just picked it for illustration).

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-22%20at%2009.59.

hey donald,

I do want to be using stainless. I plan to look at the remaining three calipers as i reckon if one was poor rest may not be perfect. Figured better to have kits here first so we can crack on with it.

Hoping to do once for a long time kind of job, then next on the list is a pressure wash underneath then a mountian of waxoil - if it ever dries up!

I have done two of my vehicles with Zeus Engineering's stainless pistons. They are truly excellent, and any disc braked LRs I have in the future will get more of the same. They provided genuine seals and retainers in the first kit, but Britpart on the second. The seals are fine, but as said, the retainers don't fit. Try to save the originals as you remove them, or buy new genuine retainers. Make sure the seal seats are scrupulously clean, with not a hint of dirt or rust, and lightly file the outer edge of the seal retainer before fitting so that they don't pick up on the lip.