Bedding in a clutch.

Nigelw

Been 200kms on the new clutch but tonight I managed to slap it into 3rd not 1st and when booting it off the roundabout it slipped like a slippery thing on a slippery surface, an instant "Doh" moment and a drop into second got us on our way.

But what went wrong?

Any special procedures for bedding the clutch in?

Never had this before so looking for ideas here.....

I've never had to bed a clutch in before, but my last clutch change I did experience slip initially...

Drove for about 5 miles in a spirited fashion backing off when slip occurred. Drove sensibly for a while to let it all cool off and it's not slipped since.

I think there would be a risk of slipping too much, generating too much heat and potentially baking / glazing the surface...

I've got a re-mapped TD5 with VNT and bigger intercooler all from IRB so it has the power and torque to test a standard clutch... But all ok so far !!

What was the flywheel surface like when you changed the clutch?

Glazed from overheating, ridged from over worn friction plate?

I damaged the flywheel of a 400bhp car by leaving the cltch wear too long but with proper surface preparation/cleaning by the garage the replacement clutch never slipped even when burning out the rear tyres.

It is often said here that oil burners have very high torque pulse stresses on drivetrains so is it possible that the issue was just a high gear resisting acceleration and high torque opposing it was just too much for the only place it could slip and it may be fine in normal use? If so then the alternative could have been more expensive?

Flywheel was fine and I did in fact run the engine on the hoist momentarily whilst holding a bit of emmery in my paw to see what it was like but no signs of glazing.

Hadn't thought about the latter! For sure a bit of clutch slip is prefferable to gearbox/diffs/half shaft destruction!!!

If it wasn't already bedded in, you probably achieved that when it slipped. I imagine its similar to brakes and its about transference of a layer of the friction material onto the surface of the flywheel that the friction plate meets.

Read a load about the theory with brakes when i had problems with my last 5 series and brake judder (actually turned out to be bushes!) - more info here: http://www.centricparts.com/files/Centric%20White%20Paper%20C2-Bed-In%20Theory.pdf and here http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm on that.