Bullet Connectors - Disconnecting

Hi Folks,

Apologies if this sounds like a "numpty" question.

Need to disconnect and subsequently reconnect some wires plugged into a bullet connect on my Defender 300Tdi. Is it simply a matter of pulling them out. Keen to understand this first before doing damage to the connectors by manhandling them.

Thanks for any help,

Simon...

http://pellylandroverdefender.blogspot.co.uk/

Not a silly question, if you can,don't pull on the wire (easier said than done), otherwise you'll end up having to crimp on new bullets (don't ask how I know). Try getting snipe nosed pliers on the bullet itself.

Or if you do pull on the wire, jiggle and twist (the bullet) but you could do it as well! :hysterical:

Cheers

Peter

Yes they can be a real pain in the \*&^. As they are often tarnished, they need to be cleaned-up when you do finally disconnect them. The bullet is easier to clean than the connector; in fact the connector is very hard to clean because it's hard to get anything much inside.

For that reason and because they are hard to get apart in the first place, I find it's easier to open-up and therefore destroy the connector, releasing the bullets and then use a new one. Of course that pre-supposes you have a new one available. If there's time to get one then I suggest this route. :i-m_so_happy:

get a fibreglass corosion removal pen to, like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIBREGLASS-CARBON-FIBRE-ABRASIVE-CIRCUIT-BOARD-CLEANING-PEN-PENCIL-10-REFILLS-/270971223928?hash=item3f1724bf78:m:mZyEwARY4AqIGRr5IZPPkaw

I use them at work for removing small areas of corroision on our hawk jets. it will remove most corrosion back to nice clean metal without removing the underlying material.

get a fibreglass corosion removal pen to, like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIBREGLASS-CARBON-FIBRE-ABRASIVE-CIRCUIT-BOARD-CLEANING-PEN-PENCIL-10-REFILLS-/270971223928?hash=item3f1724bf78:m:mZyEwARY4AqIGRr5IZPPkaw

I use them at work for removing small areas of corroision on our hawk jets. it will remove most corrosion back to nice clean metal without removing the underlying material.

I haven't seen those before. They look very handy.

Get yourself on Autosparks and buy a decent bullet crimping tool and a set of bullets and connectors, if you're in area's subject to water like headlight wings, the bullets have a habit as previously stated as being corroded and flaky, it doesn't hurt (and a lot less effort) to just cut the old connectors off and replace with shiny new bullets and of late I've been squirting a blast of spray grease into the hole to try give them some protection too...