Timing Tool Kit For 200Tdi

soutie

I have recently purchased a 15 piece timing tool kit from a well know Internet store and was wondering if any body had a set of instructions on what tool does what?

i.e. has anybody labeled their kit. I know I can sit down with the workshop manual and work out what does what - but thought may be somebody else has already done it? See attached picture where I have made a start.

post-205-0-57496700-1447489454_thumb.jpg

I've also got the same kit. You only actually need a couple of the tools on a 200 Tdi anyway - the sprung loaded flywheel pin and the plain pin for the fuel pump. I don't think I've ever used any of the other bits n pieces in the 10 - 12 years and countless belt changes I've done with it...

I've also got the same kit. You only actually need a couple of the tools on a 200 Tdi anyway - the sprung loaded flywheel pin and the plain pin for the fuel pump. I don't think I've ever used any of the other bits n pieces in the 10 - 12 years and countless belt changes I've done with it...

You obviously don't live near the sea as the crankshaft pulley puller is invaluable for removing the front pulley when the vehicle in question has been driving in the sea!

Matt

Thanks for the offer.

I am rebuidling her from the axles up. I stripped her down had a new rear cross member and cross members welded in and then had the chassis galvanized. I have finished redoing the axles and suspension and have converted the rears to disk brakes. It is now the turn of the engine before going on to the gearbox and body.

Matt is correct on the above tools.

The spring-loaded pins go through the wading plug hole in the bell-housing to lock the flywheel, the large (9.5mm??) pin on the right hand side is to lock your injection pump and the remaining items work as a puller for the crank pulley.

A word of warning, if you roll the vehicle back until the spring loaded pin locks into the flywheel it may snap the pin. Push the vehicle back and forth and line it up roughly by eye with a torch then rock it gently to let the pin locate.

or put a socket on the crank pulley......

The tool will also hold the fip pulley so the fip can be removed without upsetting the timing belt.

Agree with using the socket on the crank bolt - much easier than rocking the car around while you are under it.

Is there a rough guide anywhere for using the tool to hold the FIP pulley to remove the pump without removing the belt? I think i will need to do this soon on mine to send the pump off for a recon.

Agree with using the socket on the crank bolt - much easier than rocking the car around while you are under it.

Is there a rough guide anywhere for using the tool to hold the FIP pulley to remove the pump without removing the belt? I think i will need to do this soon on mine to send the pump off for a recon.

I'm getting quite good at it now after knackering yet another pump....

You need to time the engine, remove the front cover plate over the FIP, remove the 3 bolts and the little plate that goes over the Fip pulley, then there is 2 radial slots in the timing tool... using the 2 short bolts in the kit put them through the mentioned slots and then into 2 tapped holes in the pully. the bolts dont go all the way in until you remove the pump from the timing case.

after that, remove all the pipes from the pump and then remove the rear bracket from the pump and the engine block. the pump is a bit of a fiddle to remove from the space your given but it does come. last time took me 50 minutes to remove the pump and also the AC compressor and 2nd alternator...