10spline gkn half shafts in 90

orange rover

yes they are genuine says GKN + some number on the shaft. splines show a tiny bit of wear though, but propably nothing to worry about yet. thinking about putting a v8 or 2.8 tgv into the 90, hope the shafts will cope.

pulled the 24 spline ashrofts from the rangie the other day, no wear whatsoever.

yes they are genuine says GKN + some number on the shaft. splines show a tiny bit of wear though, but propably nothing to worry about yet. thinking about putting a v8 or 2.8 tgv into the 90, hope the shafts will cope.

pulled the 24 spline ashrofts from the rangie the other day, no wear whatsoever.

I'd give them a go and see. Nick's not gentle with his right foot and, as Tony said, has had no issues. I have heard reports of failiers, though. IIRC, you can convert lockers to 24 spline for about £80 so if the shafts don't do the job then you could always convert to 24 spline and switch to a differant type of shaft.

IIRC, you can convert lockers to 24 spline for about £80 so if the shafts don't do the job then you could always convert to 24 spline and switch to a differant type of shaft.

that is a very intersting bit of information!

thought i would neednew ARB's in case i wanted to switch to 24 spline

excellent!

cheers orange

I don't think it is quite that simple... ARB's very simple to pull apart mind you, but its does depend on the age of them. if its a circular ring in the middle holding the pins altogether you may not have a problem, however if its a square ring (as such) early VVVVV early type I not sure it can be done. I would of thought it would be more than £80 as well, as just the seal cost me almost £50 for the early type one.

but its worth a try though.

and tango - how did I get involved in this- - puddles/holes... phaaa... it was a slope for the first one - which you wouldn't of gone near as your scared of anything bigger than a road side kerb.. :D:D

that is a very intersting bit of information!

thought i would neednew ARB's in case i wanted to switch to 24 spline

excellent!

cheers orange

The 10 spline GKN shafts are Very good - I use them!

The idea that 24 spline is stronger is kind of a myth. Land Rover 24 spline shafts are stronger than LR 10 spline, but it's down to the material more than the number of splines.

10 spline shafts made from good material can be every bit as good. People seem happy to spend loads of money 'upgrading' to 24 spline - and unless they are running OE shafts, it is for nothing!

I run 10 spline front & rear and have never even considered changing (indeed I changed from 24 to 10 to use the GKN shafts!)

Si

makes sense what you say with regards to the number of splines. yes there are fewer of them in 10 spline compared to 24, but then they are thicker :P

the only thing I'm concerned about is that they are showing a bit of wear, and they have only run 10k miles (ok mostly offroad i would think). will try to post a picture.

arbs would be about 94 would these be old or new style?

cheers

orange

I don't think it is quite that simple... ARB's very simple to pull apart mind you, but its does depend on the age of them. if its a circular ring in the middle holding the pins altogether you may not have a problem, however if its a square ring (as such) early VVVVV early type I not sure it can be done. I would of thought it would be more than £80 as well, as just the seal cost me almost £50 for the early type one.

and tango - how did I get involved in this- - puddles/holes... phaaa... it was a slope for the first one - which you wouldn't of gone near as your scared of anything bigger than a road side kerb.. :D:D

Pigster, I honestly can't remember the exact price but it wasn't silly money to convert them. I've just got that sort of figure stuck in my head, I may be totally wrong, though.

The idea that 24 spline is stronger is kind of a myth. Land Rover 24 spline shafts are stronger than LR 10 spline, but it's down to the material more than the number of splines.

????

10 Spline is 1.11" outside and 24 spline is 1.24". If these were round stock, strength is proportional to the cube of diameter. That makes the 24 spline 39% stronger when built from the same materials.

Is that not a comparison between a salisbury shaft and a regular rover 10 spline?

I do not believe that a 24 spline is 39% stronger than a 10 spline. I would believe that as the difference between Salisbury and Rover however.

Si

Salisbury and Rover 24 spline are the same size (at the splines) as stated in the link above.

10 SPLINE: Used for axle shaft to diff side gear in ROVER Type diffs from the first L/R in 1948 to app 1992. Also used in L/R series 1 & 11 vehicles at drive flange and early R/R & Disco CV joints.

Square form (40 o included angle) Major dia 28.2 (1.11") Root dia 25.3 (.997") Zp ( polar section) .212

App torque capability for axle of 1500 Mpa UTS Hytuf 5635 Nm (4160 ft lbs)

24 SPLINE: Commonly referred to as "Salisbury" spline as it first came into rover use in the Salisbury diff fitted to series 111 long wheel base. Also used at drive flange on series 111 onwards. From app 1994 the Rover Type diff also uses this spline in the side gear although this gear is about .004" tighter than the Salisbury diff gear. The side gear spline in all Maxi-Drive 24 spline diffs is also the same as the Salisbury. (Why Rover decided to depart from industry standard and make the Rover diff tighter is anyone's guess)

Involute form, flat root side fit, 20/40 DP, 30 o PA,

Major dia 31.4 (1.24") Root dia 29.2 (1.15") Zp (polar section) .294

App torque capability for axle of 1500 Mpa UTS Hytuf 7835 Nm (5780 ft lbs)