Bonnet retaining catch - alternatives?

During the rebuild I lost the bonnet release cable and needed a solution for the MOT the following day so fitted a set of rubber toggles that were lying around in the garage - similar to the ones below.

They do the job fine and the bonnet doesn't rattle but I recently slipped off the bonnet whilst attaching a rope at a P&P day and now have a nice gouge across my stomach so would like to find something more 'flesh-friendly'.

Can anyone suggest a more flush-fitting alternative? Aero catches look nice but I have an MSS box with one and the handle seems to jam with mud/sand. If not can a TD5 style bonnet cable be fitted straight on? It's a 1989 90 with original bonnet/slam panel.

Thanks,

Harry

SparexBonnetCatch-medium.jpg

Ehm.... Depends on the finish you want.

On the 110 we have, apart from a Series bonnet catch, 2 DIY rally pin style catches and they work very well. But they are obviously not for everybody.

Series Bonnet catch works well.

I also have the Series type, as used since on the MoD and Camel Trophy vehicles. They lack the security of an internal release system, but they don't bung up with dust like the release cable. They can freeze up with ice in winter, but a couple of uncomfortable minutes holding them in your ungloved hands sorts that out (unless you have a better heat source available).