Twin battery and wiring recommendations.

I had a problem this morning with my battery (flat) I have two battery’s fitted with an X-Charge relay.

The first battery is used to start the Defender, the second is used to power my winch and is fitted with an Anderson connector to the outside of the seat box. I have a set of jump leads fitted with an Anderson connector so I can also use the second battery for jump starting anyone if required.

When I start the car the charge goes to the first battery first but as the alternator output hits 14v the power starts to charge the second battery through the charge relay.

Thought this was all a good idea when I fitted it.

I have Recaro seats so not that easy to remove.

Now as said today my starting battery was flat – I could not jump start the car with the Anderson jump leads as they only take and give power from the second battery.

1 hour late for work and I was now driving a single seater

How would you think the best was to wire the battery’s and what are the best leisure battery’s to fit within the seat box.

Well I could fit another isolator and connect them together but my seat box already has two fitted, one kills all power and the other kills the winch + I have an Anderson plug also fitted to the outside of the seat box.

I did think of fitting a second Anderson connector which would do the same I suppose.

The easiest as mentioned is to fit a whopping big isolator between both battery positives.

Another option is fit another Anderson connector to your starter battery, and then connect both Anderson connectors with your jump leads.... Sounds long winded but if you add a Anderson connector to your battery charger, no need for seat removals after you get a flat battery.

Or use a solenoid instead of an isolator that way it's all inside the battery box bar a nice switch with a light on it. Then you could also use the x charge to switch the solenoid as well ie auto or manual split charge and manual jump.

Mike

i have two methods set up,

i have anderson sockets on each batt and keep a lead with respective sockets so i can just plug and play batt to batt.

Also just set up a chunky isolator so i can link batt to batt, either for self start or give winch a real kick.

both work well.

I have a Tmax split charger, with a bit of wire to bridge the + and trigger wire it will draw everything through the relay but it's rated 200A so should cope spinning the 200Tdi into life for a split second.

Durite voltage sensing relay to connect two up think it switches at 13.6 and drops out at 13.2 or similar. fit that in the charge wire between +ves

then have a second wire to bypass the switch with a hand switched isolator on 35 or 70mm (depending on other wiring in vehicle for winch) to link the two togther when winching or for jump start.

or use a winch solenoid as the isolator

i use 2 x Numax leisure MF27s.