X-Defend pedal lock on a Series - anyone tried it?

I have - and no, I don't think it can practically.

The thing that's key to it's design is that on a Defender, the distance from the A post to the seat box is almost the same as the floor to the top of the footwell where it meets the dash. Sadly, this isn't the case on Series nor Discovery's - otherwise there would be a version!

I'm not saying however it's impossible - I did make a reasonable one out of Cardboard but it required too many hinged joints and I didn't think it would be cost effective.

The original Defender one I made from mild steel plate cut with a disc-cutter and a length of continuous hinge bought on eBay. You could proto one in Cardboard and then fabricate it yourself? I think that might be simpler and a whole lot cheaper than trying to modify one. I'll see if I have any photos of the cardboard version. I think they vanished when my phone died though.

Si

I'm pretty sure the height of the foot well opening (floor to dash ) is identical between the SIII and the Defender (I fitted the Defender kick panel trim from Wright Off Road, and that measurement was the same - it's the toe end that differs), and thus the SII as well. The length between the front of the seat base and the door pillar is also the same, allowing for manufacturing tolerances (otherwise Defender seats wouldn't fit the existing bolt holes on a SIII seat base, which I also did). I'm not sure about the width of the foot well, but I'd be very surprised if that differs.

I think the only thing that may get in the way is the hand brake lever or red High/Low lever, but I'm pretty sure the Series hand brake lever is closer tot he centreline than the Defender type (presses less against your leg). I reckon it'll fit, but I admit I'd want to have the two vehicles side by side for measurements or a pedal lock to trial fit first, just to make sure.

• 2 weeks later...