Crank pulley on solid help

The timing pin looks like it goes in at the back of the engine, right swine to get into unless there's another?

I'm sticking to belt and braces, RTV and gasket, don't mind taking my time scraping it off with a cold beer to keep me company one sunny weekend hopefully well into the future !

How easy/hard is it to knock the sprockets out of place once the belt is off if you don't have a pin in?

weighing up the job to get that timing sprocket off for the oil seal, I'm swaying towards leaving it.

Then it's hopefully off on our first adventure in them......

Mines is the usual plastic multi fin fan with viscous centre, I'm not too fussed about getting every bit of power from it as it'll be used for leisurely drives and camping trips etc. just to be enjoyed when I'm out in it. :-) we're a tad apprehensive about doing the crank seal, when cleaned up it actually looks in pretty good nick. And I need to bare in mind it's sitting on Trev's driveway, this weekend will be the third weekend it's sat there....... It's still undecided at the mo.

We're going belt and braces on it Vulcan, gaskets on, slight smear of RTV round the casing and bolt up tight. (Proper Nm on it obvs)

If you have the viscous type fan you already have the "max power" engine with performance I can only dream of.

Thanks, DC. I can get most of the bits to change to viscous fan reasonably priced but the pulley is the expensive bit - don't know why.

What make of cambelt are you fitting? and how much did it cost as I see paddocks list two - one at £7 and a genuine one at £60!!!!!!!!

Nows theres a dilemma, I don't want to pay £60 if £7 will do the job just as well but, if the £7 one stretches or worse breaks - arrrgh!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222170066471 Is the kit I got with a dayco belt in it. The tensioner is in there too along with a dust seal for the front cover.

I'd make sure your pulley is the right one though, get pics up. The mates is different from mine, we're having to adjust the holes for the bolts as they don't line up 100%..... The water pump has a square type fitment on the new water pump and mines has a round fitment.

Always get what you can afford, but try your very best to get Genuine quality

Dayco every time, and I always change tensioner and idler for Bearmach items while I'm at it. Both case seals get changed for Corteco seals as well. When I do a new vehicle for the first time, I strip right back to the block, everything off, and re seal the lot. Invariably the bolts are also stuck in the case holes, and I also enlarge them. From memory, they're normally drilled 8.1 for an M8 bolt, and I open them out to nearer 9mm and lather them in copper grease. To date, I've not had problems when I've gone back in years later. I've a new-to-me TDi I'm starting on today.

• Like 1

With tierd and weary limbs, it's still not finished.....

What a soul destroying moment (but only because we were so close to finishing)

Who can tell me what's wrong with this picture?

C6C43CEA-2B7F-4D86-9E38-A2958896991B.jpg

It's the wrong water pump, it should have a round boss with a thread if you have a viscous fan.

BINGO !! Get that man a packet of roast beef and mustard !

Yep the water pump sent was non viscous and luckily (taking a positive from it) we noticed before we put everything back together. It was going to be a bit of drilling here, a bigger belt there. Then we paused and thought, "where does the fan connect to?"

New correct water pump ordered but won't be here til Tuesday which is a bummer!!

Beats me. looks good so far, mind you i'd have replaced all the water pipes, especially that little one on top.

Stephen do you know the part number for these pipes? I wanted to change too but with everything going on keep forgetting. If not too expensive I can put them in with my pump order and make it look even better.