Fuel gauge

Mutley

So last month put a new fuel tank on the 90 300tdi ........Have just run out of diesel and yet it's showing 1/4 of a tank on the gauge!?! 

Was all good before new tank fitted any ideas why it's reading wrong all of a sudden???

Cheers Andy 

Think it's sorted? Took the locking ring off and noticed the rim on the tank had x2 locating slots, so turned the float to make sure the lugs on the underneath of the top were seated correctly, reconnect x2 wires, switch ignition on and low and behold the gauge is reading EMPTY!!!....Like I didn't know!!!

Just put £30 of diesel in it so just have to see if the gauge drops as it should, would like to think so?

The funny thing was no more than 45 SECONDS before it ran out off fuel, I was thinking how well the furl was lasting since I fitted the new tank, as the old tank was leaking as quick as I filled it! Then 100yds down the road round the roundabout another 100yds. cough splutter, instantly knew the problem! Only upside was, being a 300Tdi not having the issue of bleeding the engine in the dark when her ladyship turned up with the can.

I had a 110 with a fuel gauge that could be 'misleading' - only ever ran out twice though. Once as I pulled into the yard at work, so I put a gallon of red in there to get me to the fuel station. And then once it started spluttering 100yds before a fuel station, so I dove in and coasted onto the forecourt. Luck was on my side! It was a similar problem with the float if I recall correctly.

Glad to see you're sorted anyhow. Good excuse for a Sunday drive out to test it!

I was having problems with my fuel sender not showing fuel on the gauge even just after filling. Well I removed the sender from the tank when the fuel level went down, I opened the small metal box thing and noticed the arm was not making contact with wire sensor thing. I was able to see the gauge move when I tensioned the arm on the sensor thing. I hope this is of help

Not sure may need bending as i went out today and if i went round a left hand bend/corner it stuck at 1/4 of a tank and would not settle till i through it round a right hander?.....Back home took the float out to make sure no grit or cack was causing it to stick, so will have another drive tomorrow and see what happens?

Had a drive and it's still playing up!....So took the float out and shon a torch in to have a look and can't see what it could be catching on? The area is free of obstacles so gave the top area a good blast with WD40 and bent the float arm in a tadge, will report back agter another drive.

Just checked the price of new 20 odd quid so do-able?.......just annoying that it worked fine before i put it in the new tank!?!......and all it is, is a bent wire with a hollow plastic ball one end and a gauge with printed metal scale the other, all moves freely, floats not catching so can't figure what the problem is???..... for something so simple it's frustrating to say the least!

inside the case is most likely a wirewound resistor and a wiper, if the assembly has a flaw (when it's been pressed together/riveted) it could be intermittent. you could test it out of the tank with a multimeter set to 200ohm range, and see how the readings progress. However in reality it's probably less faff to get a decent new one, bearmach etc.

Ok so last ditch chance to sort this........

When on level ground with ignition on the fuel gauge reads 1/4 tank which is correct...... but within a few seconds of starting the engine and driving the fuel gauge rises to half way between 1/4 and half tank and stays there???.....If I throw it round a corner it does drop or rise slightly but then goes back?

I have had the float out checked for any obstruction to cause it to stick? NONE.....Whilst out connected the wires and moved the float up and down manually, and the fuel gauge reads as it should on these occasions!?!

Not keen on getting a new one as I am not convinced this one is fried and don't want same issue with new which is what I feel may happen?..... is there any way of checking if this one IS dud? again it has only been swapped from old tank to new tank and was working ok before so why not now???

Would like to be sure before a new float is ordered thanks guys

Funny you should mention that Ralph. I have just checked the x2 wires this morning as when fitting the new tank i zip tied them to the return pipi bend to keep them out the way a bit. Think i might have pinched them a bit too much as they do feel well creased through the cover sleeve?

So i think i might cut the wire at this point and reconnect then use shrink tubing over the top and see if that results in anything better???

Great minds and all that? Well yours anyway, mine not so much!