Steering Stops

tpk241

• 4 months later...

Hi and Good Evening to all those People in Landy Land (i'm new on here this is my first Post) I'll get around to introducing my self propper soon .... ;)

Quick question please ....

Those "Stoppers" (adjustable Bolts ?) apart from Brake Hoses (important kit) Chassis and so on, what do I need to "Watch for" if i'm going to go for a "Bit more Lock ?"

Its a '53 Defender 110 Road use 99%

Thank You all :rolleyes::)

Those "Stoppers" (adjustable Bolts ?) apart from Brake Hoses (important kit) Chassis and so on, what do I need to "Watch for" if i'm going to go for a "Bit more Lock ?"

Nothing really just wind the stop in until you get more lock, just try and aviod the tyre rubbing on the fron radius arm on full lock.

With 8 spokes and 1" wheel spacers I can actually wind the stops all the way in on my Discovery with out rubbing. It really tightens up the turning circle (can easily out turn stock 90's).

Nothing really just wind the stop in until you get more lock, just try and aviod the tyre rubbing on the fron radius arm on full lock.

With 8 spokes and 1" wheel spacers I can actually wind the stops all the way in on my Discovery with out rubbing. It really tightens up the turning circle (can easily out turn stock 90's).

if you have more lock then you'll probably need more cv's

if you have more lock then you'll probably need more cv's

Depends on what you do with it. If you give it 4000rpm and drop the clutch in reverse low range with Simexes fitted, steering on full lock and the front end buried deep in a 12ft deep drainage ditch, you will undoubtedly be right - can't see it making much difference in "normal" use (i.e. where people don't bust CVs every other weekend - road use 99% mentioned)

One thing to be aware of is the self centering action of the steering.

I have my lock stops asjusted for maximum lock, and notice a lack of willingness to centre from full lock. Once I come off the stop the normal feeling is restored. It's not a big problem, just something I am aware of.

My 52 plate Disco had a horrendous turning circle, and was fitted with fixed length" plugs" rather than adjustable bolts. I asked if this could be changed as other Discos I had driven of a similar vintage were o, but was told no. Might have been to do with the wheel / tyre combination I don't know.

The 04 plate Disco I replaced it with was much better, and still had the non adjustable plugs but thinner.

Recently I heard of a bloke who sheared off his lock stop while trying to adjust it... Something I wouldn't have thought would happen, but would probably cause a world of pain if it did...

If they are very tight then it's probably worth giving them a week of WD40 rather than forcing the issue with a 3ft breaker or some-such.

Roger

Recently I heard of a bloke who sheared off his lock stop while trying to adjust it... Something I wouldn't have thought would happen, but would probably cause a world of pain if it did...

If they are very tight then it's probably worth giving them a week of WD40 rather than forcing the issue with a 3ft breaker or some-such.

Roger

I'm surprised someone managed to shear the bolt off, they are reasonbly hefty. I suspect they may have forgotten to undo the 2nd locking nut on the other end of the bolt, as this would certainly make it hard to turn.

I'm surprised someone managed to shear the bolt off, they are reasonbly hefty. I suspect they may have forgotten to undo the 2nd locking nut on the other end of the bolt, as this would certainly make it hard to turn.

I have sheared one do i get a prize :D

the locking nut was rust welded on and the bolt head just came right off hardly touched it :ph34r: , 5 mins with the windy gun on the nut and it came out... still not replaced it and that was two axle rebuilds ago...