Hose Recommendations

dave1607

HI All

I need to change the coolant in my Defender TD5 so thought I would swap out some of the hoses that are looking a bit old. Can anyone recommend which make of hoses to go for, I would go genuine but they are quite a bit more expensive. I would usually go to LRDirect as they have options of different manufacturers and they seem to have the Bearmach one listed as "workshop approved". It looks like the bearmach top hose has a plastic T piece rather than a join, any opinions on this?

Thanks

Dave

I have exactly the same question as you Dave, except mine is a 300TDi. I have ordered two brass plugs to replace the plastic ones in the rad and thermo. housing but my hoses are all original (1996) so I too think they should be changed. If you don't mind, can I add a question? Should I consider silicone hoses and if so why? I haven't yet checked prices but I think they are much more expensive and I don't know what benefits they might bring. Thanks

They are likely more expensive, though probably not much in it if you were to buy genuine hoses from LR.

They will last longer, resist heat and abrasion much better -I would do it if I were you...

I'd expect a plastic joiner would be fine, but if it bothered you, buy just that one from LR and the rest aftermarket?

With regards to the plastic joiner IIRC a genuine 300TDI bottom hose in ROW spec has a plastic joiner and non ROW doesn't have the joiner, I wonder if this is similar for the TD5 hose? I'll need to find the source for that info though

EDIT: source turns out to be this forum 

Anyway the point of mentioning it was that if genuine is available with a plastic joiner then there is probably little to worry about

Thanks, Will probably just go with the Bearmach ones then and see how I get on. I can only find the top hose and heater hoses for the TD5 anyway, the 300TDI is available as a whole set in silicone but not the TD5 for some reason.

Dave

Yeh, I found the top hose in silicone, they also seem to do the heater hoses but I can't find the bottom hose or the one that goes from the water pump to the thermostat and round to the expansion tank. Some of the smaller hoses to the offside of the engine have rubbed a bit on the block, before I spotted it and cable tied them out of the way, so need replacing. Guess I will just have to use rubber hoses.

Dave

On 20/10/2016 at 2:48 PM, Bowie69 said:

Oh, and make sure they are black, unless you like to look like a 17 year old on Southend sea front.

THIS!

i bought some blue silicone hoses thinking it would be ok.........it's not! Now I'm slowly going through them and changing to black

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice. I can see that there are several full silicone hose kits for the 300TDi and some at least are made in the UK. As for the join that the OP referred to, for my variant there are several with alloy T-pieces which might be the best way to go for the reasons quoted above. The prices across a couple of UK manufacturers that I've checked, seem to range from £198 for the full coolant set to £360 for a set including the turbo kit so it's a pretty hefty price to pay.

My 20 year old rubber hoses have done well - the turbo outlet was the first to go last year but I think it will be silicone (in black). ;)

5 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

I've used mkperformancehose on ebay several times and they have proved to be very good. I believe Ralph the parts book also recommends them. They do full sets of hoses. 

HTH

Mo

Yes, recently replaced my engines breather hoses with new black ones from mkperformance, also recently replaced the 2 hoses at heater with new silicone but from a different supplier, both sets are great quailty.

Looks like mkperformancehose only do the complete kit for the 10p TD5 (mine is 15p), and it's £500 which is a bit much for me at the moment. I did find Roose Motorsport who do the silicone hoses in smaller sets (e.g. not the whole engine bay set) but probably work out more expensive in the long run, they do offer the hoses in an OE matt black finish and unbranded at extra cost.

Think I'm just going to stick to rubber hoses for the moment.

Dave

I'd second mkperformance hose - excellent.If you ring them up they are really helpful, if you only want one or two bits I'm sure they would do it. The 300tdi bottom hose is a ROW type with alloy tee if anyone is interested. I did find I needed to trim a little off the end of some of the hoses.