dead optimas

dirtydiesel

when i built my G wagon 2.5 years ago i put 2 brand new optimas on it, and they have been perfect, untill a play day last month.

It started up perfectly in the morning, did about 10 mins winching first thing, restarted it several times throughout the day then mid afternoon i turned it off and it wouldn't restart. it wouldn't jump start it would only tow start.

After 2 weeks on charge they were regestering 14 volt but as soon as you turn the key they drop to about 6 volts.

So i think they are dead, but i don't know why they've died.

Any suggestions or alternatives?

Not been impressed by Optimas since they changed manufacturing location a couple of years after they appeared on the 4x4 scene.

There is a special "regime" for charging them once they've been discharged, you can spend a fortune on an Optima battery charger, I think it charges them at something like 16v for a short period but not certain about that. Optimas seem to be sensitive to shock, seen a few die after a large shock, even saw one die after a comparatively minor roll (motor laid on it's side). The battery was 6 months old, worked fine cranking over a big diesel lump, vehicle gently rolls onto it's side and the battery wouldn't take any charge from that point on.

I borrowed a 'special" battery charger to try and resurrect both my Optimas and my Exxides and it made no difference in either case :(

When you are measuring the voltage are you measuring it at the battery terminals ?

if not then it's worth doing that as a bad earth or power connection can give that kind of result if you're measuring the voltage remote from the battery.

If you are then at least one of the batteries has had it. try splitting the batteries and charging/starting with them individually, could be that one of them has a problem. I once had one of a pair that seemed to break down internally and started taking all the charge from the good battery overnight. If you're charging them in parallel it may be that one battery is stopping the other charging.

As an alternative to Optima I'd strongly recommend going with Odyssey, I started with Optimas then changed to Exxide after a few years, ran those for a couple of years and then moved onto Odyssey and, touch wood, the Odyssey's have been the best so far.

I don't have one but my brother uses a Optima Yellow top on his Supra Twin Turbo.

It was sat powering just the Alarm for around 6 months, so before he started to use the car agian he wanted to top it up (didn't seem to crank the engine over anywhere near as fast as it should have).

He left it on trickle charge overnight and when it came to reconnect it, it was dead. Nothing out of it at all. Returned it to the shop where they tried a Optima charger and still nothing.

Reading the Optima website it says that if they are overcharged they overheat and that causes some safety valves to open allowing the gas to escape. When this happens the batery is scrap, as they are "Maintenence Free" so you can't refill or change them at all.

Didn't ask my brother what he did after that, don't think the Shop would take it back/refund (think he made the mistake of admitting the overcharge - or maybe it was obvious to the dealer).

I too am on the lookout for a good second battery, want everything ready when I finally decide on a winch :). Initially thought of Optima but on this info I think I may try others, I don't mind the cost but if they seem to fail for "no reason" that a bit worrying.

Cheers

Matt

When you are measuring the voltage are you measuring it at the battery terminals ?

if not then it's worth doing that as a bad earth or power connection can give that kind of result if you're measuring the voltage remote from the battery.

If you are then at least one of the batteries has had it. try splitting the batteries and charging/starting with them individually, could be that one of them has a problem. I once had one of a pair that seemed to break down internally and started taking all the charge from the good battery overnight. If you're charging them in parallel it may be that one battery is stopping the other charging.

I've measured both at the terminals and at the starter, and at the winch solenoids all give the same reading.

I've tried charging them individually and after they both fail a drop test.

I have seen a number of Optimas go like that all of a sudden, likewise Exide Maxxima. I changed my two Exides, which died suddenly and for no apparent reason, to Numax batteries.

They look ok, do you know whether they are physically the same size as yellow tops? as i'm a little tight on space.

Just returned two 16month old Odysey PC1500'S to Devon 4x4 off the landcruiser to be told they weren't warrentied as they had calcified (due to being left flat for ages according to Tim) the car was a daily driver so can't see how that can be and being sealed and maintenance free. I have just got two Numax Batteries from Brunels for less than the price of one Odysey.

2 x PC1700 Odyssey in my 110, superb batteries.

Ditto,

Best bits of kit on the truck.

Bought 18 months before they were even installed.

Loads of in out of the garage during the build, about a year.

Trucks done 1800 miles in 3 years after the initial 2 1/2 years.

Never charged the batteries.

Never let me down.

Wired in parrallel.

Have you changed any thing with the set up of alternator, winches or any wiring?

Mark.

• 4 months later...

Just come across this thread whilst searching for sometnhing else.

The two yellow optimas were flat on my 110 after 2 months at sea. OK starter battery had clock and battery monitor running on it. Is that sufficient to flatten a good battery in 2 months???

Not sure what voltage was on the starter battery as shippers recharged it.

Second battery has 4.6 volts on it, measured across terminals. This had nothing connected to it.

I did have some battery issues whilst in Australia, so am guessing these are now goosed

Replacements ??? Odysey or Numax???

Regards

Brendan

Odyssey :)

As you may remember my Exxides didn't make it back in one piece from Australia in 2005 - completely dead out of the container and never held a charge again afterwards.

This time, using Odyssey batteries, my motor started and drove out of the container both in Sydney and back home again and hasn't missed a beat since even when the alternator packed up in Ireland they still managed to start her up again once I'd winched my way out of the hole I was in and replaced the alternator.

I changed my two Exides, which died suddenly and for no apparent reason, to Numax batteries.

Another vote for Numax - very robust and 'abusable' battery - the Toy Rover 2 will be fitted with 2 of them. I've had a number of Odyssey batteries die in boats when drained right down. I once killed two sets in one boat in 3 months - that's two sets of 8 2150s of course :(

Guest otchie1

All spiral wound AGM batteries require a higher charge rate than any wet acid battery. If you have a standard (55Amp is it?) alternator you will spend your life recharging it on a bench.

Apart from their long charge holding time if left with no draw on it, it's only really the no spill bit that's of much use over a good wet acid jobby.

I mean when will you use 20,000 CCA in Surrey?

To be fair I'm not sure what state my normal 69Ah lead acid battery was in, but I ended up with a red top optima after a day off road when it got flattened powering the wipers/lights of the dead 4x4 I was towing back. By the time we got home the optima was well charged and the starter motor turned the engine over noticebaly quicker than the lead acid ever had.

Well this is news i thought they was best of the bunch, just shows dont belive the hype i guess. I fitted a Red top today to my 110 all working well so far and the best news was it was free along with another huge battery :P

A few years ago Optimas were certainly considered the best available. Since then it sounds like various battery manufacturers have moved forward and overtaken Optimas. In a few more years I am sure that it will be 'Brand X' which will be the best of the bunch.

Since buying and fitting the yellow tops, I have been told that they last 3 - 5 years. Mine are about 4 years old so can not complain too much on the lifetime score.

So what is life expectancy of Numax v Odysseys? What are the differences between them and not just CCA and price?

Regards

Brendan

A few years ago Optimas were certainly considered the best available. Since then it sounds like various battery manufacturers have moved forward and overtaken Optimas. In a few more years I am sure that it will be 'Brand X' which will be the best of the bunch.

Optima went backwards as much as any of the other brands went forwards. The early Optimas were made "in house" at the plant that developed the technology. As sales increased they shifted production to the US so they could cope with the volumes. This switch seemed to coincide with the drop off in reliability and quality. At the same time the Exides appeared on the scene and after a failed legal battle over the spiral technology Exide were seen as a possible alternative to the reliability problems that Optima were having and I may be wrong but there was a rumour at the time that Optima were bought out as a result of the failed legal battle.

Pam has an early Optima Red Top in her 90, it's now around 8 years old and is still going strong.

As it turned out the Exide weren't any better in reliability than Optima so people started looking for another alternative which is when Odyssey came into the limelight and, so far, have seemed to be more reliable than either the Exide or the Optima and they also seem to maintain a more consistent voltage.

Numax are the "new kids on the block", I have no experience of them but initial reports seem good and they are cheaper than the Odyssey so if they prove their long term reliability and performance they should be well placed.