R380 5th gear ratio.

After my other topic about my gearbox knocking I'm going to get it reconditioned. But while there at it Ashcroft's can fit a 0.732 5th gear ratio out of the v8 box which they say is 5% higher than the standard ratio.

So has anyone done this and is it worth it. I will be doing quite a few motorway miles in it. It's currently running 265.75.16 mtr's but I'm wanting to go to 285's at some point.

Any feedback would be great. Chris.

I run an overdrive on mine which alters the gearing by 28% at the top. I sometimes think 20-22% would have been better, but with some fueling/boost/intercooler alterations, its ok if not a little overgeared at times (just have to change down on the hills a bit more). I would think 5% would be fine though.

Mine is a 200tdi with an LT77s - 5th ratio on my LT77 is the same as your current R380 IIRC, so i think they are comparable. (thats on 265s too)

Well I've only just brought the 130 and have driven it about 1 mile as it's not got any mot. It has been Sat in a shed for 3 years and the chap I brought it off didn't know much about it. It's got an alisport intercooler on it and I might put my performance head on it off my Disco. Is £110 plus vat worth it for 5% increase in 5th gear

My 300tdi is currently fitted with a LT77 but I intend to replace this in time with a defender td5 r380 that I will convert to a stumpy and I also intend to fit the v8 5th gear.

To make it worth you're while you would have to be doing a lot of miles on the motorway to gain the benefits.

In my vehicle it isn't required at all but when I'm stripping and building the box I would kick myself if I didn't change the gear.

3000 RPM ?? If you are driving in 5th with those revs then I guess that the higher 5th gear ratio would possibly be worth while, I seldom drive mine above 2250RPM in 5th = 90KPH it's most economical fuel speed/rev range.

I don't do that many motorway miles. But I do about 6 trips to either Heathrow or Newbury plus a couple of trips to Devon and Wales. But while I'm at it would it be worth it? If traveling at 3000rpm it would only take it down to 2850rpm

I did exactly the same when rebuilding the gearbox on my Esprit. They also have a taller 5th for the V8 versions, 0.76 instead of .82. The 4-pot copes just as well and even 5-10% difference is noticeable when cruising, seems more relaxed. Of course that's in a high revving engine, but I also preferred my Defender TD5 with larger tires and thus lower revs at motorway speeds.

I travel to Heathrow every week and as far as I am aware if you follow the signs for T5 and go around the north perimeter road to T1, 2 and 3 you do not go in the LEZ. If you follow the signs for T1, 2 and 3 from the M4 then you do go in the LEZ. Not sure if it helps for T4 though.