Un-Excised Vehicles

David Sparkes

I'm not sure this counts as International, but we don't have a 'Wales' section.

Credit must also go to the poster on the web forum of the Series 2 Club, who shared this with us.

"I stirred things up on another forum by suggesting that Reliant Robins were not motor cars according to the RTA, and should go across the Severn Bridge without paying a toll.

Somebody replied to say that UN-EXCISED vehicles are toll exempt.

UN-EXCISED? Now there is an interesting word. I've gone back for more details. Does anybody here have any ideas?"

Later the poster added:

"News just in. I'm not certain about the reference to 1971 Act.....

Dear Mr *********

Sorry for the delay in replying to your email. I have endeavoured to get to the bottom of this issue once and for all by going through the legal documents and my finding are:-

The last reference to this that I can find documentary evidence for is in the "Statutory Instruments 2001 - Highways England. (Revision of Tolls and Traffic Classification) Order 2001" which came into force 28 August 2001.

Item 3. States "No tolls shall be charged in respect of any vehicle which is not chargeable with any duty under the Vehicles (Excise) Act 1971 (b) by virtue of section 7(2) of that Act.

I hope this clarifies the situation for you. Should you need any further information then please don't hesitate to

come back to me. Having said this the only method that our staff have in policing the toll is via the vehicle

displaying a current tax disc displaying nil tax.

I have attached a copy of the order for your reference

Regards, "

So, it makes running a ringer off eBay even more attractive :-))

Cheers.

"Statutory Instruments 2001 - Highways England. (Revision of Tolls and Traffic Classification) Order 2001" which came into force 28 August 2001.

Item 3. States "No tolls shall be charged in respect of any vehicle which is not chargeable with any duty under the Vehicles (Excise) Act 1971 (B) by virtue of section 7(2) of that Act.

:unsure: Does that mean they can't charge for using the M6toll ?? (It may be run by a private company, but it's owned by the Government). :lol:

This is a link to the original specific discussion, the Un-excised element of which got mentioned on the Series 2 Club forum, and then on here.

http://www.r3w.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13945

Note they do spend time talking about the classification of 3 wheelers, which I appreciate is not our interest. However, as the discussion is on-going there may be more information on the Un-excised element, which will be of interest to owners of LRs that are exempt from Road Fund Tax.

You will see reference to a letter that some people are carrying with them, but this relates to ensuring 3 wheelers are charged as motorcycles, not cars. The letter does not refer to 'Un-excised' vehicles.

HTH

Motorcycles are often exempt from road tolls and they still have to pay vehicle excise duty.

A three wheeler can be driven on a full motorcycle license and may be considered more of a motorcycle rather than a car?

Are we going off topic?

Interesting topic though - TAX is an emotive point for all the right reasons mind.