Axle oil seals

will_warne

I know this has been covered before but i couldn't find anything in the tech archive. I'm about to strip both axles to get at the diffs and I'll replace pretty much all the seals while I'm at it. I was wondering which seals were best for the stub axles and the swivels (been causing lots of problems recently....). Also, I read somewhere about people using Wolf wheel bearings on slim hub axles. Are these better than the standard ones? Anyone got part numbers?

TIA

FTC4785 are double lipped as well and come cheaper IIRC.

P.S.

Will,what MY is your 90?

As we found out mine already had double lipped seals fitted while doing the Toy CVs conversion.

Surprise.

RTC3511 is the older seal designed for oil fed bearings.

FTC4785 is the newer style of seal designed for greased bearings.

I would guess that the oil seal should to be a better seal than the grease seal, although both are supposed to keep water out :rolleyes:

I get corteco ones from exeter4x4 store.

Corteco seals are not genuine, but are up to genuine standard. Never had any problem with them. :)

If they are supplied by Allmakes originally, then make sure the part number has a "G" on the end, eg FTC4785G or RTC3511G

Britpart seals seem to be absolutely rubbish in my experience! :ph34r:

I am 100% sure your new seals are double lipped. Same as your old seals.

So no hub seal leaks after the switch from grease to oil?

Ah,I did not dream then...

No leak until this morning (touch wood).

Now I'm at work and it's raining,I will check again when back home.

So far so gooooooooooooooooood...

;)

RTC 3511 are the best seals to use, even more so if you stub axle has wear, as these pick up on a previously unused part of the stub, so you can change a hub that even with a new seal leaks, shove another new but this time rtc 3511 seal on and it don't leak no more .

To convert grease filled bearing to oil also needs a ccouple of mods, they are different dependant on model (ie RR vs 90) and also year, esp axles with dowty rings etc

Teflon coated swivels are a debatable conversion to oil, all off road LRs with chrome ones are IMHO better with oil, if the oil can leak out then water cxan leak in so you get an early warning system built into the axle, lost count of the numbers of conversions / rebuilds I have done where the grease hasn't leaked out, but the water and **** has an destroyed the innards.

Nige

RTC 3511 are the best seals to use, even more so if you stub axle has wear, as these pick up on a previously unused part of the stub, so you can change a hub that even with a new seal leaks, shove another new but this time rtc 3511 seal on and it don't leak no more .

To convert grease filled bearing to oil also needs a ccouple of mods, they are different dependant on model (ie RR vs 90) and also year, esp axles with dowty rings etc

Teflon coated swivels are a debatable conversion to oil, all off road LRs with chrome ones are IMHO better with oil, if the oil can leak out then water cxan leak in so you get an early warning system built into the axle, lost count of the numbers of conversions / rebuilds I have done where the grease hasn't leaked out, but the water and **** has an destroyed the innards.

Nige

Ta, already running oiled bearings; they just last soooooo much better. I think one stubaxle may need changing; it sounded like a rear wheelbearing was on the way out yesterday but the others should be OK.

whatever seals you go for do NOT buy Britpart ones, they are absolute garbage... the last ones i had didn't even fit properly, they were too big for the housing and i bent one putting it in, in the end i gave up and put a genuine one in, fitted perfectly and the manufacturing quality didn't even compare... some things are worth buying genuine.........