Side Exit Exhaust Examples?

i knocked mine up on the 110 to replace the resonator box which was knackered, i went to a local exhaust fitters and got a load of old piping and bits for free and made one out of that.

bear in mind that most exhausts now get replaced as soon as the cat has had it, the piping is normally fine, the lot i got looked quite new, hardly any rust. i got bits with the curves in the right places and used exhaist clamps to hold it together and made a custom bracket.

i'll put some pics on tomorrow if you want, but i know there are a few people on the site who've done it, thats where i got my info from, do a search...

I've got an arrangement as above on my 90, its the bain of my life and will be changed shortly.

It draws diesel fumes into the cab and rattles like buggery (ill fitting - not by me I might add)

Something to maybe bear in mind, a mechanic friend who's had a lot of MOT experience etc, commented that it was illegal having it like this, as its to high and sticks out onto the street side of the road with potential to give people a bit of a smokey shock if you start it up when someone is walking past. not sure how true this is, but something to bare in mind maybe.

My 90's got 3" lift with 285,75 Grizzlies on, puts the exhaust about window level of a small/average car... I smoked a couple of ladies out there toyota Yaris the other day, didn't relies they had a window open!! luckily they where very open minded and laughed it off....

Hmmm... but that shiny bit of stainless does look rather good...

Mav

I used an exhaust clamp onto the rear outrigger with a slightly bent piece of flat bar with another exhaust clamp on the end to hold my side exhaust in place at the back. Dont have any photos on the computer but it does the trick and is held in place very well.

I used an exhaust clamp onto the rear outrigger with a slightly bent piece of flat bar with another exhaust clamp on the end to hold my side exhaust in place at the back. Dont have any photos on the computer but it does the trick and is held in place very well.

If you do get any that would be interesting to see.

I was thinking of drilling and bolt a bracket down from the body work somewhere but the vibration would be bloody awful i would have thought. any recomended galv sprays if i were to bolt or weld onto the chassis?

Something to maybe bear in mind, a mechanic friend who's had a lot of MOT experience etc, commented that it was illegal having it like this, as its to high and sticks out onto the street side of the road with potential to give people a bit of a smokey shock if you start it up when someone is walking past. not sure how true this is, but something to bare in mind maybe.

i looked into the legal side of it before i did mine, apparently there is no legal or MOT issues with a side exit exhaust. as long as it is not sticking out too much and doesn't have any sharp edges it will be fine.

after all, there are several production cars that have side exit exhausts (SLR and viper)

• 2 years later...

While there are no legal problems that I know of with a side exhaust, and it looks good, sounds great and keeps it well out of the way when offroading; I am going to change mine back to a rear exit once I get a round tuit. The reason is simple - as mentioned above it can be rather antisocial:

1. In summer time in traffic I have to think all the time about it and be careful not to smoke out other cars, but sometimes in traffic I can't help it

2. It can really upset dogs (and I love dogs)

3. (Worst of all) It is just at face height for a baby in a pram...

In the picturesque village of Dunkeld last year I was crawling in traffic on a tight road with parked cars next to a 3ft wide pavement, and a gap came so I accelerated away and as I did I heard the squeal of a distressed mum as I blasted her baby with fumes. I was really upset and vowed then to change it back to a rear exhaust...

In my case it was LPG fumes - imagine how bad it would have been if it had been a 'performance tuned' diesel! (You know - the ones that produce a cloud of black smoke when they open the throttle...)

Don't get me wrong - I am not 'anti' side exhaust, they are just not for me and I wish I had thought of the above before I modified it.

Roger

I know exactly what you mean.... Mine is at such a height and angle it blows straight into an open car window... When on the ferry going across the river I always park on the left side so no cyclists and pedestrians can stand right next to my exhaust on startup.

That said.... I'll stick with a side exhaust.. It'll get squased underneath the rear crossmember otherwise, and poking out through the PTO hole just looks downright ugly... plus I don't want an exhaust pipe blowing a stinking blast of diesel fumes right at my privates when I'm standing behind it... :hysterical:

ive got an 86 110 with a 300tdi conversion and the exhaust pretty much blowes out the side anyway lol thats why I was going to go side exit and straight through ,but would a 300 run ok with a straight through??? its standard set up atm just with a big intercooler ???

Agree with 3sheds, I had a side exit, but can remember a few yelps from passers by and since the IVA requires a rear exit, I am doing so and won't be changing it once done.

With some though you can make it pretty indestructable off road, even if the original stock exhaust I had before was broken very very quickly :(

Agree with 3sheds, I had a side exit, but can remember a few yelps from passers by and since the IVA requires a rear exit, I am doing so and won't be changing it once done.

With some though you can make it pretty indestructable off road, even if the original stock exhaust I had before was broken very very quickly :(

I thought the IVA didn't require a rear exit. Had a few mates with Caterham / Westfield & Cobra kit cars, all with side exits on Near side - all got IVA no probs? Is it different for 4x4?

Sorry for OT BTW, but I think there is an exemption for this on the sports cars, but the way I read the IVA manual was that it had to exit at the rear. If I find it again in the IVA manual I will post up about it.