Landyspareparts.com - anyone had any issues?

Hi

SO here’s the story, I’m in the process of upgrading my 200tdi dash to a td5 dash, i have been getting the parts from over the web and managed to find a wiring loom on landysparepart.com. So I ordered it and waited.... and waited.... and waited some more.

When I received nothing, i went on their website and low and behold, the part is now out of stock, they didn’t bother to e-mail me about this, so i guessed it was probably a minor delay, so i gave them another week (I should point out they’ve took the money out of my account for this order).

After still no part or response, i decide to contact them, i sent an polite email via their website asking them what the issue was, after hearing nothing after a couple of days I sent another e-mail. Well that was last week, so today I sent another e-mail (slightly less polite, but not rude), but I don’t reckon I’ll hear anything.

Has anyone had any experience using this company? do they normally have this bad customer service?

I’m now in the process of researching on building my own wiring loom as I don’t think I’m going to get one, I’ve got the wiring diagram for it, just need to find the connectors for the Speedo and bulbs

I would have tried to phone them as well, would rather speak to some one direct than send emails, but if they don't answer the phone you're not left with much choice, unless it's serious money then i think i would be waiting on their door step!!!

Not had any dealings with them myself so will be interesting to see what comes of it, as for your other bits have a look on VWP's web site they have most bits for auto electrics, and very good to deal with (have used them several times myself).

Good luck either way cheers Mutley

Right at the top of the page, great big phone number, ring it.

http://www.landyspareparts.com/frontend/contactUs

Nowadays people seem to have been bred into a fear of talking to a real person and prefer to do everything digitally -face to face best, phone next, but written stuff in general get ignored until they can fit it in by any business IME.

If he's after the loom I think he is (Td5 instrument binnacle harness) then Autosparks won't be able to help. They don't do anything newer than Tdi-engined vehicles :(

That exactly what I’m after Retroanaconda, I’m installing a TD5 dash in a 200tdi (i was actually inspired by your online guide).

No reply yesterday, so going to give them a ring today, but I’m not hopeful.

So yesterday evening i started working out how to build my own harness, i've managed to locate all the parts i need except for the bulb holder for the heated illumination controls (anyone know the part number?). i reckon I’ll be able to do it for about £20-30. a lot cheaper then the £130 for a new row spec loom!

except for the bulb holder for the heated illumination controls (anyone know the part number?).

not listed seperately as these are part of the Td5 instrument pack harness, just looked at mine, but there is no numbers or other info marked on them. the holders are a twist fit similar to the speedo bub holder. T5 type bulb/holder IIRC

I think I’ve managed to find something that will fit:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/led-accessories/0336104/

Looking at the spec, it appears to be roughly the right size to fit in the dash, it does use LED instead but no major issue for me.

I managed to find the lamp holder for the fuel/temp gauge (part YAJ100390), I will connect to them using spade connector in a housing to make it more weather proof, likewise the same for the spade on the back of the gauges.

Finally I located these:

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/product.asp?product_code=M-53-1&category=ISO%20Connectors&section=CAR%20AUDIO

Looks to be about the right size to fit into the speedo.

after that all i need is a shed load of wiring, a multiway connector for the other end (going to use the same as Retroanaconda used in his 'fitting a td5 dash' so I can carry on following it for the rest of the fitting)

I think that covers everything!

I'm now kind of glad I had issues, as otherwise I would not have started going down this route. Won’t know if it all works till I try building it and seeing if it fits in but that all part of the fun!

I think I’ve managed to find something that will fit:

http://uk.rs-online....sories/0336104/

Looking at the spec, it appears to be roughly the right size to fit in the dash, it does use LED instead but no major issue for me.

I managed to find the lamp holder for the fuel/temp gauge (part YAJ100390), I will connect to them using spade connector in a housing to make it more weather proof, likewise the same for the spade on the back of the gauges.

Finally I located these:

http://www.nexxia.co...ion=CAR%20AUDIO

Looks to be about the right size to fit into the speedo.

after that all i need is a shed load of wiring, a multiway connector for the other end (going to use the same as Retroanaconda used in his 'fitting a td5 dash' so I can carry on following it for the rest of the fitting)

I think that covers everything!

I'm now kind of glad I had issues, as otherwise I would not have started going down this route. Won’t know if it all works till I try building it and seeing if it fits in but that all part of the fun!

The Pink 10-Way ISO connectors from Nexxia will do the job, don't forget to order some terminals, as they're not included with the connector.

I have a small quantity of the correct Sumitomo 14-Way HD090 Connectors (and Terminals) that fit on to the end of the instrument harness to connect it to the main harness -

th_DSC01849.jpg . th_DSC01850.jpg . th_DSC01851.jpg

th_DSC01852.jpg . th_DSC01853.jpg . th_DSC01854.jpg

With MOQs, shipping and import taxes, I've got be asking at least £12.00 each for these, in order to cover my outlay.

PM me if you're interested.

Paul, your photo's of the 14 way plug have just answered a question for me, I was wondering how the opened to fit the terminals,

Ralph, the new connector shells come like that, with the secondary terminal locks open.

To open them on a used connector, there's a locking tab at each end of the secondary lock which has to be carefully levered out of it's locking hole, while applying gentle lifting pressure on the rear of the secondary lock.

Once the secondary terminal locks are opened (as in the pictures), you can insert terminals into empty cavities or, using a suitable tool (I use a safety pin), lift the terminal locking tab in a cavity (from the front of the connector) and withdraw that cavity's terminal and wire.

To close the secondary terminal locks, you ensure that the 'fingers' are in the slotted holes, then slide/press down on its rear and it 'clicks' into place.

The terminal locking tabs are then prevented from being lifted, so locking the terminals into the connector.

I have a small quantity of the correct Sumitomo 14-Way HD090 Connectors (and Terminals) that fit on to the end of the instrument harness to connect it to the main harness -

I didn't word that very well :blush:

What I meant was - it's the female connector that fits on the main harness and mates with the male connector on the instrument harness.

This connector is of no use to you if you're making an instrument harness, as you need the male half, which I don't have.

However, if you've sourced a TD5 instrument harness and want to connect it to anything other than a TD5 main harness, then this connector would be very useful :i-m_so_happy:

I didn't word that very well :blush:

What I meant was - it's the female connector that fits on the main harness and mates with the male connector on the instrument harness.

This connector is of no use to you if you're making an instrument harness, as you need the male half, which I don't have.

However, if you've sourced a TD5 instrument harness and want to connect it to anything other than a TD5 main harness, then this connector would be very useful :i-m_so_happy:

Thank you for your offer, unfortunately i have already butchered the inside of my defender wiring and fitted a multiplug from vehicle wiring products, so don’t fancy rewiring it again!

I've decided to build my own harness for the dash, and will be doing next week once all the parts have arrived.

But thanks for the offer anyway!