200TDI 2.5Litre vacuum pump

Dave64

Hi All, How many variations of vacuum pumps on the 200TDI 2.5 litre range Rover (Australian release) model? 1993/94

Seen some photos where the pump is on the back of the alternator, some on an individual bracket driven off the serpentine belt, mine runs just a single vee belt and the pump seems to be mounted on top of the injector pump.

This normal? Or has it been modified, as the power steering pump and brackets were not with the engine when I picked it up, probably be scrap by now.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

Vac pump on a 200tdi is cam driven by skew gear on the block at the mid point (where the distributor would be on a 2.25 petrol. As far as I know there's only one type.the 300tdi was again cam driven but by plunger, positioned lower and further back. I think td5 and tdci are on the alternator but not sure.

Mike

Thanks, Men!

Any known issues with them? Brake man reckons they should draw 15 ? (inches of mercury??)

If so, what would be the biggest vacuum booster that would safely handle ? 9 inch?

Thanks.

Dave

2 hours ago, miketomcat said:

I've got one that I think is failing as if I brake 3 times in quick succession the third time has no servo assistance but the servo seems to be fine so I guess the vacancy pump is going. I will replace it at some point.

Mike

More likely the servo is leaking of the inlet filter is plugged.  You need to test with a vacuum pump and gauge both items and not just randomly replace things.

• Like 1

The vacuum pump is remarkably simple and has little to go wrong.  It has a rotating drum with four sliding blades that are centrifugally thrown against the walls of the pot to seal.  If they are chipped, you would suffer some losses, likewise if the walls or top cover plate are scored, but all can be easily rectified with some emery paper if a replacement is unavailable to too expensive to ship.  Servo failures are more common, either through the operating rod seals or the hose or hose connection elbow.  It is not uncommon fro Defender servos to crack at the master cylinder studs.  The other possible problem is that the vacuum pump dumps its air into the crank case (300Tdi too), so a heavy breathing engine ay have too much crank case pressure for the pump to achieve its full effect.

Defender spec 200tdi BHP 107 &Torque 188lbft

Discovery & RR spec 200tdi Bhp 111 & Torque 195 lbft same as all 300tdi except the Auto trans mission fitted versions of both engine which have 120bhp to compensate for torque converter losses.

these should be in the engine specs in the respective workshop manuals

For non turbo 200tdi have a look on the glencoyne website http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/200di.htm

• 2 weeks later...

One query I posted, may have been overlooked when the answers started coming in, was what type of belt arrangements were used.

Today I picked up a manual covering basic 200TDI, 2.5 litre layout, UP TO 1994. It shows a serpentine belt arrangement, so the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that someone may have modified the set up. Mine is running a single VEE belt for the radiator fan, single groove, with the alternator running a dual groove pulley. As I didn't have the power steering pump, BUT did have the idler pulley, in a box with other odds and ends.

The bloke who gave me the engine reckons it came out of a 1993 Range Rover, so he's as much in the dark as I am. He told me that he took the power steering pump off to give to his bro-in-law who has since sold the vehicle on. Neither would be able to confirm just what type of belt arrangement was on the vehicle at the time they started wrecking it.

Would they (Range-Rover) have changed from VEE belt to Serpentine around this period (1993, Australian release) or maybe some models came out WITHOUT air-conditioning? To my way of thinking, this seems to be a pretty basic set-up, makes it harder without either having access to the vehicle and that when I picked the engine up, just about everything on the front of the engine had been removed.

What else MAY have been driven off the main drive belts? Crankshaft pulley was ALSO single groove.

As usual, any help appreciated

Dave64

My understanding is that all 200TDI are vee belt from factory, and 300TDI multi-vee. Suggest the book is just showing pictures of the later engine, maybe?

'93 RRC Should be a 200TDI.

200TDI:

med_gallery_2_24_967909.jpg

300TDI:

IMG00292.jpg

I don't think anyone has messed with your setup, it is as per factory from the sounds of things.

200 Tdi only had V belts, Land Rover changed to a serpentine belt for the 300 Tdi.

Your 200 Tdi will be RR/Discovery spec then with the low positioned turbo and long dipstick as per bowie's upper picture.

HTH

Mo

Thanks very much for clarifications, Fellows.

As I said, not all that well up on L/R or R/R engines as such. Just had another look at the wkshp manual I picked up, NOT a specific R/R book, rather a generic small diesel service/repair one.

Possibly mislabelled as the photo shows a serpentine belt. but I can work around that.

From what I have read both here and on some other forums, the 2.5 litre 200TDI engine seems to be a good honest little unit. Reason I was given it is that it had disturbing noises coming from the rear of the engine, once I split the gearbox from the engine, found out that the crankshaft bushing was flogged out. Although clutch plate couldn't be salvaged, the crankshaft and flywheel as well as the pressure plate were taken to the clutch man who checked them over and said they could be reused without major surgery. Not using the original R/Rover 5speed O'drive tranny so had to spring for another clutch plate (custom made) and adaptor plate.

Got to the stage where I am slowly putting components back on the engine, must be almost there as I'm running out of parts that were given along with it.

Thanks again, Dave64