Hi guys

Had a hose blow in the engine bay, chucked coolant everywhere. Replaced the section of hose and topped up the expansion vessel with coolant. Temp gauge still reading off the scale even though the engine block doesn't feel that hot. 

Is my first point of call the thermostat? Or something else? 

Thanks

Thanks

Don't seem to have a filler plug on my thermostat housing (200tdi). Filled through the one on top of the radiator though. Will give it a little run round the block to see what happens. Whats throwing me is how the gauge is shooting straight up to being off the scale even though the engine doesn't seem to be that hot. It normally gets to halfway and then hardly moves from there.

9 hours ago, Farky said:

Thanks

Don't seem to have a filler plug on my thermostat housing (200tdi). Filled through the one on top of the radiator though. Will give it a little run round the block to see what happens. Whats throwing me is how the gauge is shooting straight up to being off the scale even though the engine doesn't seem to be that hot. It normally gets to halfway and then hardly moves from there.

Correct no fill plug on 200tdi, only on 300tdi 

reckon you've got a big slug of air in the system, try running at idle with the expansion tank cap off to let any trapped air escape.

• 3 weeks later...

It ran perfectly for a couple of hundred miles and then started overheating as soon as I got it off the drive.

i drained and flushed with a radiator cleaner, replaced the stat and the water pump. Still continuously overheating. Pipes going to the rad and the rad never got hot but the heater pipes were red hot.

I took the new stat out and ran it it with no stat and while it's still running hotter than before it's not overheating anymore so it must have been a faulty stat as heat is now getting through the radiator.

Not sure what else could be causing it to run hot 

I did the whole dance with t/stat, waterpump and flush after my heater performance became erratic at best. Didn't make much difference so ended up doing the head gasket and it's been fine ever since.

The my temp gauge never went off the scale but it was elevated from its normal "just below half" and the heater blew cold/Luke warm air. Also check the pressure in the water pipes...if they're rock hard and look as if they're expanded due to pressure then it may point to the head gasket.