Bulkhead Cable Entry - Which Sealant?

Hi Folks,

Need to replace some cables coming in from the engine bay, through the bulkhead and into the dash.

From the engine bay side the grommets and cables are covered by what seems to be some sort of black resin.

Which resin/sealant has been used for the job? See attached image (Attached random engine bay shot taken from the web)

Many Thanks,

Simon...

DefenderEngineBay.jpg

Edited by simonpelly

In the past I’ve used Dum Dum which is a non-setting sealing compound but it’s no longer available. Notwithstanding Mike’s comment above about not using silicones, I have used Granville RTV which I think is silicone but it seems to pull off / out without a problem if you need to remove it.

CT-1 for everything! Use it mostly for sealing things on boats. It's adhesive so be careful where you use it but round cables should be OK. Silicone also not bad here because it's a poor adhesive but once you use it nothing else will stick.

Arbomast butyl is the best non setting sealant but it might sag. Best thing for deck fittings which would also apply to body panels etc