Carling Switches - Sourcing

headhunter

I am looking to source some carling "contura II" switches and surround to drop into my Mudstuff dash panel.

If there are enough of us I can acquire in the USA.

You can see the supplier data here: http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/UK061/SectH.pdf Scroll down to page 30.

A minimum order of 25 switches is required.

They do 3 way and 6 way switch housings.

A 6 way switch housing and 6 switches will cost around £35 + uk post. This includes US shipping + UK VAT + UK CUSTOMS handling.

I am prepared to fund the initial purchase order and then handle UK dispatch to any interested parties once the items arrive.

The saving is considerable with UK suppliers asking £10+ for a switch and probably £15 for a 6 way surround + post.

Let me know please.

John

John,

I take it you've tried RS Components - that's where got mine from.

SimonR was going to do some switch covers in order that 'plain' switches can be converted into gucci, illuminated ones. No idea of when they are going to be available though :(

Any news Si? :D

John,

I take it you've tried RS Components - that's where got mine from.

SimonR was going to do some switch covers in order that 'plain' switches can be converted into gucci, illuminated ones. No idea of when they are going to be available though :(

Any news Si? :D

Si,

You wouldn't have an RS part number or a link to thier web page would you please?

Matt

I mite not be Si, but the site is rswww.com

Thanks Hedley,

I have the site in favourites, but its a hells own job trying to find the right page which is why I asked for part number or link to exact page.

John, sorry for hijacking your thread, when are you wanting to place your order by?

Matt

James (Pugwash) & I were looing at getting Carling switches with blank actuators and getting another company to print them with a selection of off-road related symbols & text.

It's strange that you can get the most obscure labels on Carling switches - but nothing 4x4 like winches.

Anyway, the Carling trail seems to have gone cold for the moment.

I have, with some help from another forum member, found another supplier of what look like good switches in the same style as Carling, and much better than the ones VWP sell (I didn't like them at all!). They stock a full range of lighting (including "Rock Lights" which sound good - whatever they are!) and winching.

I deffo want a "Rock Light" switch on my dash!

Time will tell what comes of it as like Carling, they are hard to communicate with!

Si

including "Rock Lights"

Are you sure that isn't "Rack Light"? :blink:

Just FWIW I get my Carling Tech switches from a guy in US. Switches are $8, actuators (good selection) $3. $12 shipping to UK will cover a decent sized parcel e.g. 12 switches, 12 actuators and a couple of actuator removal tools and no duty or VAT to pay so far!

Switches and actuators can be viewed here: http://community.webshots.com/album/114685432SwLxOb

Prices:

SPST (ON-OFF) or DPDT (ON-OFF-ON) switches with a green light and a red indicator light $8.00

DPDT Momentary (ON-OFF-ON) NON LIGHTED switch: $6.00

DPDT Momentary (ON-OFF-ON) LIGHTED with green only, no action light $8.00

SPST Momentary (ON-OFF) with green light only, no action light: $8.00

Actuators: $3.00

Single, end, or middle brackets: $1.00

3 mount bracket: $2.50

6 mount bracket: $5.50

Bracket Plug: $0.75

Removal tools: $.50 ea (recommend 2)

Living in Alaska my shipping options are limited. I can only do priority mail and you should receive a shipment in 3-7 days depending where you are located.

You need 1 actuator per switch. You do not need a mounting bracket, but makes for a cleaner and easier install, especially for multiple switches.

I Prefer payment threw Paypal to my e-mail addy of roan65@yahoo.com

Currant Actuators available

ACT101 Head Lights

ACT102 CL/ID Lights

ACT103 Trailer CL/ID lights

ACT104 Driving Lights

ACT105 Fog Lights

ACT106 Backup Lights

ACT108 Power Window

ACT109 Engine Fan

ACT110 Mirror Defog

ACT111 Mirror (In and Out)

ACT114 High / Low

ACT112 Engine Brake

ACT118 LH/RH Tank

ACT121 Beacon

ACT124 Idle Speed

ACT202 Air Axle

ACT204 Mirror

ACT205 Marker

ACT206 Flood

ACT209 Dump

ACT210 Tailgate

ACT215 Rear Flood Lites

ACT216 Hyd Pump

ACT218 Body Lights

ACT220 AUX Heater

ACT221 Webasto

ACT225 Idle Shutdown Override

ACT328 0/0 Lights

ACT329 Alarm

ACT330 Mobile Phone

ACT331 Tire Chains

ACT332 Engine Warm up

ACT333 Fender Marker

ACT334 (pic only) Engine Warmup

ACT335 Spare

ACT336 Trailer Backup

ACT338 Rack Lights

ACT339 Fuel Heater

ACT341 AUX

ACT344 RACK

ACT345 Load Lite

ACT346 Work Lights

ACT347 Tank LTS

ACT348 Power Take Off

ACT000 Blank

OT I cant remember where but i read an article on a forum about Rock Lights - apparently in some US states that are mostly desert (Arizona etc) its too hot to go off-roading in the day, so people go at night. They fit spotlamps in the wheel arches to illuminate the rocks they are crawling so that the co-driver/spotter can direct them accurately, hence : Rock Lights

Lewis :)

Thanks Bill

I will send an email to this chap in Alaska to see what he can do for us, with the requests so far.

His prices seem fair and I think I know what to order thanks to the list above. :rolleyes:

Does anybody want specific actuators (as listed in Bill's post) if so please advise.

Thanks

John

i thought about ordering these ages ago but was planning on waititng to see what si (x-eng) came up with and i think i can wait a while longer yet really.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Off-Road-Ro...sspagenameZWDVW

Are these the same type that are used in JCB's?! Looked at the specs and they look very similar. JCB ones are made in Mexico I'm fairly sure!

i thought about ordering these ages ago but was planning on waititng to see what si (x-eng) came up with and i think i can wait a while longer yet really.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Off-Road-Ro...sspagenameZWDVW

These are the same one's I've been trying to source. They look as solidly built as Carling - but have winch symbols - and ROCK LIGHTS!

The under body lighting looks cool - but you would need a "ROCK JET WASH" switch too in the UK!

Si

I'm no electrician but the Carling ones are rated to IP68, which I understand to mean they can be submersed, whereas the others are splashproof.

This would seem to make the Carling ones more attractive but I'm struggling with working out how the part numbers work and where to get them from.

Here is the reply from Alaska:-

John,

Thanks for the interest. I am also including you a sheet of everything I carry. I am currently out of stock on the SPST switches. Also I am leaving in a day or 2 for work. I will be gone for about 5 weeks. I am putting all orders on hold until I get back which ahould be around end of January. I will cut you a deal sense you want to order so many. Give me a better idea of what you want and we will go from there.

If you have any question I will have internet at least 1 more day, then I'm not sure aftyer that. Please be patient if I don't write back right away, I will write back when I can.

You can view the actuators, brackets, switches, and tool at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/114685432SwLxOb

You can also view some install pictures at: http://community.webshots.com/album/115793651CUFFqj

*** Awsome Graphics for horse lovers! KMS Custom designs check them out at http://www.kmscd.com/

Brite Boxes for all makes!

Make both High and low beams come on at the same time. Also allow your factory fogs to stay on with your high beams! You can also turn your factory fogs into High output with the fogzilla upgrade! Ask for details and prices!

****I also have clear spiral split wire loom 3/8 for .10 a ft

Prices:

SPST (ON-OFF) or DPDT (ON-OFF-ON) switches with a green light and a red indicator light $8.00

DPDT Momentary (ON-OFF-ON) NON LIGHTED switch: $6.00

DPDT Momentary (ON-OFF-ON) LIGHTED with green only, no action light $8.00

SPST Momentary (ON-OFF) with green light only, no action light: $8.00

Actuators: $3.00

Single, end, or middle brackets: $1.00

3 mount bracket: $2.50

6 mount bracket: $5.50

Bracket Plug: $1.00

Removal tools: $.50 ea (recommend 2)

Wire loom: .20 ft

S&H: $7.00

Living in Alaska my shipping options are limited. I can only do priority mail and you should receive a shipment in 3-7 days depending where you are located.

You need 1 actuator per switch. You do not need a mounting bracket, but makes for a cleaner and easier install, especially for multiple switches.

I Prefer payment threw Paypal to my e-mail addy of roan65@yahoo.com

Currant Actuators available

ACT101 Head Lights

ACT102 CL/ID Lights

ACT103 Trailer CL/ID lights

ACT104 Driving Lights

ACT105 Fog Lights

ACT106 Backup Lights

ACT108 Power Window

ACT109 Engine Fan

ACT110 Mirror Defog

ACT111 Mirror (In and Out)

ACT114 High / Low

ACT112 Engine Brake

ACT118 LH/RH Tank

ACT121 Beacon

ACT124 Idle Speed

ACT202 Air Axle

ACT204 Mirror

ACT205 Marker

ACT206 Flood

ACT209 Dump

ACT210 Tailgate

ACT215 Rear Flood Lites

ACT216 Hyd Pump

ACT218 Body Lights

ACT220 AUX Heater

ACT221 Webasto

ACT225 Idle Shutdown Override

ACT328 0/0 Lights

ACT329 Alarm

ACT330 Mobile Phone

ACT331 Tire Chains

ACT332 Engine Warm up

ACT333 Fender Marker

ACT334 (pic only) Engine Warmup

ACT335 Spare

ACT336 Trailer Backup

ACT338 Rack Lights

ACT339 Fuel Heater

ACT341 AUX

ACT344 RACK

ACT345 Load Lite

ACT346 Work Lights

ACT347 Tank LTS

ACT348 Power Take Off

ACT000 Blank

Shane Linse

roan65@yahoo.com

So it's a wait if we are to be supplied by Shane. I would not expect delivery before the end of January/early February.

My requirement is not urgent so I can wait. What about you others that want to join the order?

Please advise.

Thanks

John